Remarks after user-feedback

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hello Brendan!

In my company we´re using TapForms on iPad now as a digital managament-system on our issue desk.
    The colleages like it and it is a huge improvement after decades of paper lists. And whats more, they are happy. While using they have encountered several things they like to see in TapForms.

– While a life search is available in fields with pick lists, they like to have this in the search function of the current form, too. (This is mentioned here at least one more time if i remember right)

– For users always like to have it as easy as possible, they have asked for an automatic backup (to icloud)

– Many of the users are somehow used to scroll through the pick-lists (as running down the papers they are used to). Its hard to change this behaviour. And after scrolling through 50 Names they remember “Hey, lets make a search”. So they have remarked that the search field on top of the pick list should have a fixed position on top.

– And i have encounterd that i cannot print lists from the iPad. On the Mac i can print it but instead of the signatures i get file names. When printing a single entry i get the signature, too. So i think this area could be improved.

All in all we´re happy with TapForms, thanks for your effort improving it!

A. Wolff

August 27, 2017 at 1:31 AM #24197

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alexander

Thanks for your kind words! I’m glad that you’re finding Tap Forms useful for your company!

1. Live search is available now for records too. Just update to the latest version. And if it’s not available in your version, it will be in the next update. I did add it not too long ago.

2. The problem with automatic backup in iOS is that it would need to interrupt the user anyway so they couldn’t use the app while a backup was being made. So it may be better to just have the user do it manually. However, perhaps what it should do is put a reminder alert if it’s been too long since the last backup.

3. Good point about the search function. On the iPhone version at least (I’ll have to test it on the iPad), you can tap on the status bar to quickly jump to the top of the table.

4. The only lists you can print on the iOS version is to export your records as a CSV file, then view that file in the Files area, then print that. But it’s not very customizable. All the printing functions are on the Mac version. So you want the signature to be printed in the list view?

August 27, 2017 at 1:41 PM #24204

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hello Brendan!

Thanks for your fast reply!

Life search is not available in my version although it is the latest one from the AppStore. I´m eager for the update!

The suggestion with the reminder is already life. But some of my coworkers are sometimes a bit reluctant digging in something they see as techno-voodoo and break something by accident. I see the technical reason so i life with it, no problem, i train some acolytes.

The switch to the top works with iPad version, too. But it is not obvious. So i think fixing the field is a good idea. I show this to my coworkers.

I´m aware of the export (and import to Numbers) but i thought of a more convinient way for only a few of my coworkers would dare to try that export thing. And the nessesarity will drop dead appear when i´m on holiday. It would make things a lot easier and i assume some of the other users who must print from time to time a list would like it, too.
    And yes, i would highly appreciate the possibility to print the signatures in lists, too. Printing the file names (truncated) on a list somehow misses the point ;-) )
    (And perhaps an option to lock a signature instead of a simple save. For it is the nature of a signature not to be changed. What do you think?)

Kind regards
    Alexander

August 27, 2017 at 2:47 PM #24208

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alexander,

I understand not wanting to allow a signature to be changed. But I’m not sure how Tap Forms would then handle it if a customer did want to change it?

Having better printing support in the iOS version would be great. It would also be great if the Mac printing code could be re-used on iOS, but unfortunately it’s a very different printing system on iOS. So that’s why I haven’t done it yet on iOS because it would be like starting from scratch again.

August 27, 2017 at 3:35 PM #24211

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hello Brandan!

We use it as as mentioned above on an issue desk. So when someone got the keys or the vehicle he testifies with his signature that he has gotten it with the responsibility. In the paper times we have had on several occations that someone wasn´t able to remind that he has got this or that. So we´ve showed him the signature and he has had to explain himself in case something was wrong with the vehicle.
    So i think it would be nice to have a possibility to lock this from altering (just in case). So when we got the sign there is (in our view) no need for an altering. And the collegues (its for internal use only) are happy to get their stuff from us and to move on. I cannot imaging someone comming back for this reason ;-)
    The icing on the cake would be to lock up an entry totally from altering after the last entry but i assume that would be asked to much.

The limitations of the printing system are clear to me. I was asking for it because of i cannot understand why i can print the signature on of a single entry – even in iOS – but not on a list. On the Mac it is the same – while i can print images in the list, too. The signatures are stored as .jpg so it should be possible at least on the Mac. Or am i wrong?

Kind regards,
    Alexander

August 27, 2017 at 7:01 PM #24214

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alexander,

Yes, I could make it so that the list view prints the signatures too.

I understand about not wanting to change the signature in this case.

August 28, 2017 at 1:22 AM #24218

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alexander,

I just added support for printing the signatures in the list view on Mac.

August 28, 2017 at 7:55 AM #24224

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

This is a huge improvement for us! Thanks for your effort!

Kind regards

Alexander

October 31, 2017 at 3:09 AM #25678

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Several weeks later…

Hello Brendan!

as mentioned before we´re happy with Tapforms. But i encountered a problem in usability. Every now and then some of my coworkers try to choose a form. Instead they hit the +-button an several empty forms appear.

So i think it could be useful to make a design change. Either move every edit-stuff away from the work-stuff or implement a edit-area on the downside bar that includes a lock up for the database from being altere beside the work-stuff. I know that TF was developed as a personal database and the user grows familiar with it while developing his databases. But i think a side look to use cases as mine (with sometimes impressive unable collegues) could be an improvement.

Best regards

Alexander

October 31, 2017 at 3:42 AM #25679

Leo
    Participant

I agree,

this happens to me too sometimes. And I use TF a long time. The case is that in different views the field has a different function.

In de form view it’s a Add Form function where somewhere else it’s a search function. It would be better it was a search function and the add a form function is added tot the edit/send button.

October 31, 2017 at 2:23 PM #25680

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the feedback.

I don’t understand what you mean by move every edit stuff away from the work stuff.

When you say that they try to choose a form they are adding forms, do you mean they’re accidentally adding records or full forms?

And is it forms you don’t want them to change or records?

Leo, I don’t understand what you mean by sometimes it’s add form and sometimes it’s search. Those are two distinct buttons on two different screens. Yes, they’re both at the top of the screen, but on different screens. One has a magnifying glass icon and the other “+ Add Form”.

If you guys want to draw up some mockups to show where you think the buttons should go, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 1, 2017 at 12:23 AM #25682

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hallo Brandan,

thanks for your usual fast reply! I have added a screenshot with a Suggestion, how an accidently adding of forms could be prevented. I think i makes my Intention clear. I have in mind to clearly distinguier between “work with forms” and “editing forms”

Kind regards,

Alexander

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 1, 2017 at 12:07 PM #25689

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

the form screen, just as the recordscreen. A bit longer on the search field. You can now use this as a global search, the search button on the bottom of the screen can be replaced with the action of filterbutton.

This way all the screens are consistent and no mistaken add forms are made again….

but it’s just a suggestion…

Leo

Attachments:
    November 1, 2017 at 11:57 PM #25694

Brendan
    Keymaster

For both your mockups, what you’re asking for isn’t something that I’ve seen on any other apps. You’re both proposing replacing a tab button with a function to perform some action such as adding a form or displaying the action menu.

Perhaps I’ll think about adding an action menu button in place of the Edit button on the main My Forms tab. Then move the “+ Add Form” button to be on a menu that appears. The same for flipping between My Forms and All Forms. It will change those functions to be 2 taps then instead of 1 tap. I’m not sure it will simplify things, but it will definitely prevent you from accidentally adding a new form. But I fear that I will receive lots of emails and bad reviews from people saying “I used to be able to add a form in Tap Forms for iOS, but now I can’t”. Because people won’t look at the action menu to see what functions are available there.

November 2, 2017 at 2:14 AM #25695

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hallo Brandan,

my proposal to split things up between work-stuff and editing-stuff is totally devoted to the experiences with my coworkers. Although i am a aware TF is a personal product, i thought it would be nice to have something like another Database “NinoxDB”, which spilts up those areas nicely and prevents the “digitally challenged” (no insult meant) from doing the unexpected.

I have added some screenshots that make it clearer.

Regards,

Alexander

Attachments:
    November 2, 2017 at 12:30 PM #25702

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have that app myself. It’s a very weird app. Not very Mac-like IMHO.

But I thought you were referring to Tap Forms for iOS?

November 2, 2017 at 12:37 PM #25703

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Of course i refer to TapForms. And Ninox is a bit weird for the approach ist totally different. I wanted to show the difference to this specific topic. In Ninox you cannot change forms or fields by accident and the areas are diverted by the layout of the Interface. That was an example trying to make my point clearer.

Regards,

Alexander

November 2, 2017 at 12:48 PM #25705

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I’ll give your suggestions some thought.

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.