Relationship or table? Which should use?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Jackie Gumme
    Participant

Hi

I have a small health and fitness business which includes organising several walks per week. I am enjoying learning how to use Tap Forms to organise this. Usually I use spreadsheets.

My head is going round in circles though trying to work out what would be the best way to record the walks.

Ideally I would like to record which clients came on the walks and also record the walk in the client record. I have a form for clients and a form for the walks. I have considered a linked field from the walk to the client (one to many) or a link from the client to the walk, again one to many. This link just brings up a new blank record though. So I tried a table and this works ok as I can select the appropriate fields in the linked form.

Is there any way though to record which client came on the walk and have the walk show up on the client record without duplicating? Sorry if not clear!
    Thank you

Jackie

January 5, 2019 at 6:38 PM #33212

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jackie,

For what you want to do, a Many to Many Link to Form field from Clients to Walks (or vice versa) would be most appropriate. Then you should enable the “Show Inverse Relationship” on that Link to Form field after you’ve selected the form to link to. Tap Forms will auto-create a Link From Form field for you on the linked form that will allow you to see the related records from both perspectives. Either the list of Walks on a Client record or a list of Clients on a Walk record.

It should be a Many-to-Many Link Type because you probably want to have the same Client record be able to go on different walks. So many clients can go on many walks. With a One to Many, a Walk could contain multiple Clients, but you couldn’t use the same Client on different Walks.

A Table field would not be appropriate for this use because a Table field doesn’t have a relationship to another form. So you wouldn’t be able to see the records from both points of views.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Brendan

January 7, 2019 at 3:54 PM #33313

Jackie Gumme
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thank you so much for your quick response. I’m delighted to say that your solution works perfectly.

Best wishes

Jackie

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.