Regarding calcul function

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

jerminal
    Participant

I am very enthusiastic user of this app.

I would like to say that the new calculation function is the thing that i’ve been eager for.

I would like to sugest some for enhancing functioning of the calcul.Please excuse me if someone else already brought this up.

First, it would be great if I can paste fomula on the calcul option. When revising lenthy fomula used in stock investment DB, for example, it is very pains-taking to click the items again again.

Secondly, It would be great if I can refer other calcul fields to clculate another number. For example, I made one cal field called ‘inverstment input’ and I would like to make ‘profit’ cal filed by creating ‘Gain’/’investment input’. On the current version, there is no way to utilieze cal fields to calculate other cal fields.

Anyway, thank you for making my life much easier and organized!!!

August 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM #4741

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Jerminal,

Thanks for the feature suggestions. They are good ones. There’s no real reason why I can’t have a different calculation field as an available field for a calculation. I just didn’t think about that when implementing it. I was focused on Number fields only. I would like to add other fields too, such as Date and Time fields for being able to do interval calculation..

Copying and pasting should be doable too.

Thanks!

Brendan

August 14, 2011 at 5:41 AM #4742

gabi
    Participant

Hi brendan,

Adding time and date to calculate would be great.

It could help me a lot for tracking my working hours.

Thanks!!

Gabi.

August 16, 2011 at 5:42 AM #4745

gabi
    Participant

Brendan,

One more thing regarding the time and date calculation feature-

It would be great if you could add an option to set an aggregate calculation for an entire form based on a time field.

And again, thank you for a great product and excellent support!

Gabi.

August 16, 2011 at 6:11 AM #4746

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Gabi,

Yes, that would be a natural extension of adding calculations to time fields. You can already perform aggregate calculations on Calculation fields.

The complex part about calculations on date & time fields is what format the result should be in? Years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds? All of the above? :-)

Thanks!

Brendan

August 18, 2011 at 7:46 AM #4748

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Brendan,

Is it possible to refer a field from a linked form for calculation ?

Thanks.

August 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM #4749

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Chaos,

Only number fields from the current form.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 19, 2011 at 3:51 AM #4751

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you think such feature can be added in the future ?

August 21, 2011 at 8:06 AM #4752

raymonvw
    Participant

On the same topic: for me it would be nice if we could include check marks in calcul functions (value of 0 if unchecked, 1 if checked) and a numeric pick list?

August 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM #4754

lgol27
    Participant

Raymonvw, I can see the usefulness of check marks for to do list – how many items are done. Buy numeric picklist? Can you explain what you are having on your mind?

August 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM #4755

raymonvw
    Participant

Sure, like where we have this list of things to order. Then there could be a numeric field with its price and a numeric picklist with number of items.

e.g:

Nummer of Ipads: [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

Price: …

Calcul field of total amount to pay

Or, say a numeric picklist of which to pick different tax rates to use in the calculation, without me having to type the exact numers each time. Hope this makes it more clear now.

August 23, 2011 at 3:38 PM #4757

lgol27
    Participant

I can see your point. In case of a 2-digit number it takes 4 taps to enter it into the number field. When you have a pick list it takes 2 taps to choose, providing you have the right number ready in the list.

August 24, 2011 at 5:36 AM #4758

raymonvw
    Participant

And its even better when the numbers are harder to remember :)

Now let’s hope this makes it into a release.

September 1, 2011 at 9:21 PM #4767

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve added the ability to specify a pick list for Number field types in my next update. But you need to make sure you use number values and not text values or the contents won’t make sense. I’ve also added the ability to import pick list values, so you could create your list of numbers on your computer, then upload them to Dropbox, then download to Tap Forms, then import them into your pick list.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 3, 2011 at 6:18 AM #4769

raymonvw
    Participant

Great! I can’t wait to see it :)

October 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM #4875

KevinA
    Participant

Maybe there’s a better spot in the forum to post this, but how difficult might it be to add some simple text field calculations to concatenate and format some simple output? Also, add my voice to one who’s looking forward to the ability to calcualte an age based on date of birth. I just created a “Field Interview” database that I’m looking forward to using at work (I’m a police officer).

I’m a new user and have already created a karaoke song database of 3,000 records.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.