Records won't sort alphabetically

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Jim Newberry
    Participant

I recently made some changes to a database, including renaming the top field (was “name,” now it’s “record name.”). That top field is a text field. I can’t sort it alphabetically (1st record starts with “s”, then “e”, then “b”…)

I’ve tried the record refresh button, and clicking on the sign, no luck. Any ideas what’s going on?

June 14, 2018 at 2:46 PM #29076

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,

Is that the same field as your First Sort Field for the form?

Try changing the First Sort Field to something else and then change it back.

Tap Forms should sort your records according to the First Sort Field.

June 14, 2018 at 2:57 PM #29077

Jim Newberry
    Participant

In the fields sidebar, “record name” is at the top–is that what “First Sort Field” is? I can’t find that phrase in the app…

If I move a different field to top and refresh the records list, that new field shows in records list but still won’t alphabetize. And if I move the “record name” field back to top, it won’t alphabetize.

June 15, 2018 at 12:13 AM #29082

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can see which field you have set as the First Sort Field by clicking on the Form button in the toolbar at the top of the Mac window. The Form tab will be selected by default. You’ll see “First Sort Field” there.

If you’re using iOS, then go to the customize form screen where you see your list of fields and then scroll down to the bottom. You should see “Sort & Group Settings”. Tap on it and then make sure the First Sort Field is set as you would like. It may be set to something different than the field you have in the first spot in your form. They don’t have to be the same.

June 15, 2018 at 8:52 AM #29087

Jim Newberry
    Participant

Thanks Brendan; that’s what I thought you meant. Still can’t get the records to sort by First Sort Field, any ideas?

June 15, 2018 at 2:31 PM #29102

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,

A few screenshots would help a lot so I can see what settings you have. Show me the Form properties where the sorting is displayed. And show me the fields list and the records list view please.

The sort priorities go like this:

1. Group Records By
    2. First Sort Field
    3. Second Sort Field
    4. Third Sort Field

Each of the above are which fields will be sorted and with which priority. It’s very rare to need to use the Second or Third Sort Fields. Although if you had for example and contacts form with First and Last names, then you may want First Sort Field to be the Last Name field and the Second Sort Field to be the First Name. That way people with the same Last Name values would still then be sorted alphabetically by the First Name within each Last Name grouping.

June 15, 2018 at 3:41 PM #29103

Jim Newberry
    Participant

Ah, got it figured out!

“Show me the Form properties…”

This made me realize I had the “fields” tab selected instead of “form.” That’s how I was changing the order. Now that “form” is selected I see the “first sort field” popup menu and sorting is working fine.

Thanks Brendan.

June 15, 2018 at 4:08 PM #29104

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah excellent! I’m glad you have it sorting the way you want now.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.