Reading clipboard in a script

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Martin Kendall
    Participant

Is it possible for a JavaScript script to read the iOS clipboard?

I like to quickly note new entries in plain text in other apps (e.g. Drafts). I know there isn’t a full Tap Forms URL scheme at the moment, but the ability to run a form script that creates a record from the clipboard contents would be fantastic.

I hope it is possible,

Martin
    Ps Setting the clipboard too would be great to send data to other apps, but that is of lesser importance

October 6, 2018 at 10:32 PM #30934

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Martin,

I haven’t written any code to enable access to the clipboard. I’m not sure that JavaScript directly allows that so I would have to write some Objective-C code that allows access to it.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 7, 2018 at 6:52 AM #30940

Martin Kendall
    Participant

That’s a shame. Fingers crossed you can add it someday.

I did think of trying promptForInputParameters and then pasting in my clipboard. Sadly this doesn’t seem to work on the iPad. I also couldn’t get alertWithMessage to work on the iPad.

Are only a subset of functions supported on the iOS version?

Thanks

Martin

October 7, 2018 at 5:30 PM #30943

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Martin,

The promptForInput function was an old function that is no longer there for Mac or iOS. I inadvertently forgot to update the manual with the new Prompter() class API. I’ve fixed the documentation for that now. But I still have to implement that on the iOS version

The Utils.alertWithMessage('Script Run Complete!', 'Cool!!!!!'); function should work on iOS though. I just tested it and it does work.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 7, 2018 at 11:15 PM #30946

Martin Kendall
    Participant

Thank you. I have tried:

Utils.alertWithMessage("almost done", record);

And it puts up a dialog box, but the script doesn’t continue after pressing OK.

Is it only intended to be used at the end of a script?

October 7, 2018 at 11:27 PM #30949

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes that’s right. It’s good for showing the results of running a script. It’s displayed asynchronously after the script executes.

October 7, 2018 at 11:27 PM #30950

Martin Kendall
    Participant

Actually the script does seem to be running, but a second call to alertWithMessage isn’t showing, nor is the final “success” dialog.

I will have to investigate further.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.