Question Regarding Photos

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

OkieG8r
    Participant

Hello,

I really make heavy use of the photo field (inventory, hotels, travel notes, etc.). I would like to have a better understanding of how TFs manages photos before I get too carried away.

1) At what resolution does TFs take its pictures?
    2) Where does TFs store these photos? What about if the field is in an encrypted form?

Thanks advance for the assistance.

February 6, 2020 at 12:30 AM #39502

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Okie,

1. Tap Forms uses whatever resolution it’s given when you take a photo. That changes as the camera resolution increases with new models. But you can set Tap Forms to take photos at mini (512×512), small (1024×1024), medium (1536×1536), and large (2048×2048). The photos are scaled proportionally to fit within those bounding boxes.

2. The photos get stored in the .tapforms database document within an attachments folder.

Are you talking about Tap Forms 5? Because I no longer have encrypted fields in Tap Forms 5. That was an old feature.

If you encrypt the database document, the photos are also encrypted in Tap Forms 5. That was not the case with the old version of Tap Forms.

February 6, 2020 at 8:53 AM #39507

OkieG8r
    Participant

Thanks again, Brendan. Yes, I have Tapforms5. And yes, I am referring to the document not an individual field (or form, to correct myself). I found the field settings for the picture resolution and will adjust going forward.

This does raise another question for me, however: if one changes (decreases, say to 1024 x 1024) the resolution of an existing photo (Photo Size: Original) field then selects the Resize All Photos button, will that reduce the size of the database document?

Thanks again for the info and for this great app.

February 6, 2020 at 11:34 AM #39512

Brendan
    Keymaster

It won’t reduce the size initially. In fact, it might get larger for a bit.

But if you go to the Maintenance screen in the Preferences window and click Compact Database, then it will shrink.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.