Question about Future Releases

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Rocky Machado
    Participant

Hi Brendan – I was wondering if you will be introducing any new fields in the future. I was hoping you could introduce a web container field, which will allow us to render html. I have a need where I want to included interactive charting (i.e plotting, historical data, etc…). Let me know if there is a current solution in Taps that would allow me to generate charts within a field.

thanks,
    rocky

July 25, 2020 at 12:46 PM #41513

john cesta
    Participant

ive pasted stuff in the notes field and it renders it quite nice but it can hiccup and you may not be able to open the fine any longer. I stopped using it.

July 25, 2020 at 2:23 PM #41514

john cesta
    Participant

I made a new little test file and have been pasting in html code. Seems to look pretty good.

In the forms are what does the feature mean

Enable Data Detectors

July 25, 2020 at 3:52 PM #41515

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I’d like a HTML field as well though not sure how well that’d end up in a printed view though because even printing web pages from Safari ends up weirdly at times. Markdown is a good step but a full embedded web view would be very empowering albeit potentially problematic for printing.

July 25, 2020 at 4:24 PM #41518

Rocky Machado
    Participant

Hi John – With javascript are you able to access the html tags (DOM objects)? what I am trying to achieve is generate a chart and then render it with an HTML tag (<DIV>). Is that possible in Notes field? How are you able to load a file inot the Notes field. I don’t see that feature?

Hi Sam – Have you written any sample code using the new Script Folder Access? could I load js files with the feature?

thanks,
    rocky

July 25, 2020 at 4:33 PM #41519

john cesta
    Participant

I am just doing simple things like going to a webpage and selecting all the stuff I want.

Then I paste it into tf.

It seems to render ok but not perfect.

I have a few pages for business I need to copy sections from and paste into tf. Those work pretty good.

Nothing really complex.

But like I said…..

I recall tf hanging up occasionally and the entire file of records would have be deleted.

Or if you managed to get into the file the notes field had to be deleted in order to start again.

I wonder if Brendan has improved this notes field.

July 25, 2020 at 4:39 PM #41520

john cesta
    Participant

What I would like to be able to do is to resolve YouTube videos in a note one way or another.

Mainly by pasting in the embedded code YouTube provides

Some notes apps I have do this flawlessly.

J

July 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM #41535

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

The Script Folder Access isn’t useful for putting scripts in but is another way of getting to the filesystem from outside of the App Store sandbox/container to import content. The sandbox limits your ability to arbitrarily read from the filesystem and this is a way of flagging a directory that can be accessed. I’m going to do an update to my receipt import process that uses it to import the images and blog about that when I get a chance because it’s a neat new feature. I personally wouldn’t use it to share scripts, the form.runScriptNamed makes more sense because it will be available on all locations for your document.

The notes field is an implementation of UILabel/UITextView which is backed by an NSAttributedString that mostly has the capabilities of what you’d think of RTF (which was popular when it was originally created). It’s not a heavily featured control in many respects.

Personally I use web links to spin up a new browser instance instead of embedding inside the app directly.

July 26, 2020 at 6:36 PM #41537

john cesta
    Participant

Yea you’re probably right. Sometimes I think I need it because I can. It’s really not necessary though.

July 26, 2020 at 9:53 PM #41541

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s right, the Note field accepts only an NSAttributedString, which is a string that has embedded formatting codes in it. It’s an Apple thing and when you copy from a webpage and paste into a Note field, the operating system is taking the rendered content and converting it to an NSAttributedString and then pasting it. Although I’m not sure if it does that at copy time or at paste time. Probably at copy time.

Maybe one day I’ll create an HTML field type, kind of like the new Markdown field type where you type in your HTML on the left and it renders on the right. But printing is a problem actually. The Markdown parser I’m using has the ability to generate HTML instead of an NSAttributedString, but I couldn’t get that format to print within the context of printing a record.

August 6, 2020 at 2:22 PM #41599

Rocky Machado
    Participant

Hi Brendan – Sorry I missed your response. I’m actually looking for a container that would allow me to run a widget. For example, this TradeView widget is something I would put in the Tapform Layout interface. Here is a snippet of the embed code Anyway, I thought I would ask.

<!-- TradingView Widget BEGIN -->
    <div class="tradingview-widget-container">
      <div id="tradingview_e1957"></div>
      <div class="tradingview-widget-copyright"><a href="https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/NASDAQ-AAPL/" rel="noopener" target="_blank"><span class="blue-text">AAPL Chart</span></a> by TradingView</div>
      https://s3.tradingview.com/tv.js
      <script type="text/javascript">
      new TradingView.widget(
      {
      "width": 980,
      "height": 610,
      "symbol": "NASDAQ:AAPL",
      "interval": "D",
      "timezone": "Etc/UTC",
      "theme": "light",
      "style": "1",
      "locale": "en",
      "toolbar_bg": "#f1f3f6",
      "enable_publishing": false,
      "allow_symbol_change": true,
      "container_id": "tradingview_e1957"
    }
      );
      </script>
    </div>
    <!-- TradingView Widget END -->
    August 6, 2020 at 10:31 PM #41606

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Rocky,

Tap Forms doesn’t have a field or layout object which would let you embed HTML into it. But it would be a good addition to Tap Forms. If only I could get it to print within the confines of a custom layout. I tried that with the markdown editor and it didn’t go well.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.