Q about Fetch Movie Data from Web Service example

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Script Talk Q about Fetch Movie Data from Web Service example

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Peter Wolf
    Participant

I’m new to this. Can someone please explain where the long strings within single quotes in the first few lines of the example come from? I want to make this as a demo in order to figure out how it works so as to apply to my problem.

October 15, 2019 at 4:55 PM #37136

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Those are the field identifiers in your form. It would be better if the variable names in this example code ended with ‘_id’ as they do when you create them in the script editor,

October 16, 2019 at 1:54 AM #37147

Brendan
    Keymaster

Excellent suggestion. I probably wrote that script before I defaulted to appending “_id” to the field titles.

I’ve just updated the manual.

October 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM #37152

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Nice! Readability is so much better.

October 16, 2019 at 9:23 AM #37154

Peter Wolf
    Participant

Thanks for the replies but can you go back a step or two? Are the field identifiers generated automatically? Where can they be found?

October 16, 2019 at 10:35 AM #37157

Daniel Leu
    Participant

From the documentation:

Please note that the field IDs in the above script (e.g. movie_title_id = ‘fld-….’) are unique to the form this script was written for. You would need to use your own field IDs from your own form to make this script work.

You create them inside the script editor by selecting the field and then clicking on the ID button.

Brendan, it might be helpful to update the screen captures of the script editor as well to show all the buttons available right now.

October 16, 2019 at 12:18 PM #37160

Peter Wolf
    Participant

Many thanks Daniel, I’ll try it!

November 6, 2019 at 1:25 AM #37843

Peter Wolf
    Participant

Doh! I am struggling to make sense of the examples although I do know Google Apps Script for Sheet. Can someone kindly help get me started with scripting my planned application?

I have successfully imported into TF on iPhone a .csv file of names, membership numbers and some other details of ticket bookings for an event. Each ticket will have a printed QR or barcode of the person’s membership number. I wish to create a TF script which enables the QR or barcode on each ticket to be scanned by the iPhone on attendee registration, retrieving the relevant ticket and automatically completing a field in the form to record their attendance. That’s all . . .

Thanks in hope and in advance!

November 6, 2019 at 9:06 AM #37856

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I’m not sure you can fully do what you need with a script right now, the scripting interface doesn’t have a way of scanning anything.

That said, what you can do is use the barcode scanner the search feature has to look up the record and if you had a checkmark for registration you could add a field script to watch that checkmark field and do what ever business process you need.

November 6, 2019 at 9:45 AM #37857

Peter Wolf
    Participant

Sam thanks for this suggestion. Could the record found by scanning the code then be displayed using a custom Layou; and can the Layout include the checkmark field so the checkin agent just taps that to confirm, and then moves on to the next person in line?

November 6, 2019 at 9:55 AM #37858

Peter Wolf
    Participant

Ah apparently Layouts aren’t supported in TP ios version presently. . . .

November 6, 2019 at 10:04 AM #37860

Daniel Leu
    Participant

I hope that one day I can use the Prompter for scanning items. Then things could be automated with a script.

November 6, 2019 at 8:58 PM #37885

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

To workaround the prompter limitation, I have an iOS app called “ScanKey” that is a custom keyboard with a built in barcode and QR code scanner. I think it also does NFC but I’ve never had a chance to use that. That lets me use a barcode scanner in the standard prompter. It’s not the greatest interface, it’s a bit clunky but it does the job. I also use Shortcuts’ built in scanner to do quick ingest via CouchDB post.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.