Protecting Ourselves from Dumb Mistakes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Gary Ownsby
    Participant

‘Still loving Tap Forms 5…but did mess up once real good…deleted almost all of a database but learned from the mistake…and synch/backup had happened before I realized most of the records were now gone.

Is there (or will there be) some ability to secure a database to be a “view only” for casual inquiries vs. an administrator control with full privileges? This would help casual users (like my wife) feel more comfortable in using some of the apps/databases I’ve assembled for her, without fear of messing something up.

If that feature is there, I must have missed it. Thanks again for a great software system.

Gary

March 17, 2017 at 9:40 PM #21458

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Gary,

I don’t have anything in Tap Forms right now to prevent you from deleting records or forms. I didn’t design it as a multi-user system with those kinds of security controls in place. But adding multi-user controls and permissions is something I would like to add long-term.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 18, 2017 at 7:35 PM #21462

Gary Ownsby
    Participant

Thank you Brendan,

I understand the level of effort that true role-based security entails. Perhaps something with less effort for now? A button which prevents the database from being changed…the equivalent of “view only”. Perhaps that button could be turned off and on via a password. My thought was viewing and searching is all that is likely to be needed to prevent some dumb mistakes. Think of it as a “safety switch”.

Just a thought…thanks again!

Gary

March 18, 2017 at 9:30 PM #21463

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well there is a function on the iOS version to disable record editing. But there’s no password required. It’s just a toggle switch.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.