Printing List View

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

John Scoble
    Participant

Hi

This may have been raised before, but I couldn’t find it, so thought I would post a query/request.

When printing in List View, I see that it is possible to:
    – select fields required
    – adjust the width of individual fields.

When previewing (or viewing as a pdf), I can judge what will fit on as a column width, and adjust the column width if required, and can specify the row height of the print. However, I don’t want to waste paper, by selecting a large row height, if it is not necessary. Also, if I widen a column too much, I might not get on all the fields I want.

Would it be possible

(1) to give an option for any field to be word wrapped, automatically increasing the row height for that record as necessary?

(2) after selecting the fields required, to have a “fit to page” setting, so that the font can be reduced, to get the required fields in. This might need a warning if the font might be too small (to be overridden), or perhaps the print could allow the “fit to page” to spread over two pages wide?

Thanks again for a marvellous program!

With best wishes

John

October 10, 2017 at 5:56 AM #25304

John Scoble
    Participant

Hi, Brendan

Have you had a chance to look at my suggestions?

John

October 10, 2017 at 1:58 PM #25312

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Sorry, I must have missed seeing your post back in August. Sorry about that.

1. Yes, this would be good and is on my long-term to-do list to improve the printing system for the table view. I want to allow you to fully customize the table view printout including custom headers and footers and have the rows in between dynamically adjust their height to fit the contents (or not, depending on settings). But that’s a big job, but definitely a goal of mine.

2. In Tap Forms 5 it will automatically shrink the font size as you add more fields to table printout, so it should be able to fit most fields in. You can also adjust the width of the columns too right on the Print panel now.

October 10, 2017 at 3:47 PM #25317

John Scoble
    Participant

Many thanks, Brendan. I quite understand that occasionally posts get missed – you are a busy man!

It is good to know that this is on the list for doing when time allows.

With best wishes

February 10, 2019 at 3:07 PM #33707

Javier Jimenez
    Participant

Is it possible to also automatically shrink the font size in a form field? I am printing address labels and some names are much longer than others. I would like to specify the maximum font size and then if the field text does not fit in the text box, allow Tap Forms to shrink it to fit rather than putting it on a new line out of view. Apple’s Contacts does this, for example.
    Thanks,
    Javier

February 10, 2019 at 5:57 PM #33708

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Javier,

Tap Forms won’t do that on a custom layout I’m afraid.

Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 23, 2019 at 8:19 AM #34937

Stephen Martin
    Participant

I ran into this; long names don’t fit the field, and are truncated.

Want to clarify for future reference…
    Is is only custom layouts where auto-reducing font size to fit is not an option?

Thx.

May 23, 2019 at 12:58 PM #34940

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen,

The auto-reducing font size only happens on the Table of records print layout. It has nothing to do with the custom layouts. You’ll need to just specify a smaller font size manually on your custom layouts.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 24, 2019 at 9:13 AM #34942

Stephen Martin
    Participant

Ah, thx. I read your reply to Javier wrong then.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.