Printing issues, picklists and time fields

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Printing issues, picklists and time fields

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Andreas Fuss
    Participant

Hi,

After using the program for over 10 months I have to say that I am really happy. It helps me a lot and I don’t want to miss it. However, there are some issues which are quite annoying and maybe you can help me.

Printing out of Link to form field
    I created a form named ‘files’ for the registry of all the files of my clients.
    Besides, I created a form named ‘activities’ which is basically a register to take notes, to keep track of the work times, etc.
    In ‘files’ I created a link to form field (many to many) to ‘activities’. You can see in this field all the activities of a file.
    The problem is when you have a certain number of activities displayed in this field printing issues appear. This happens in two or three files and only when the number of registers displayed in this field is high. I can’t say you the exact number but I assume from 100 activities displayed in the field onwards.
    In this case, you can open the respective activity (or better said click the link to the registry of the respective activity) but when you try to print the form the program opens the printing menu and then crushes. The program stops running and thinks the whole time and you can’t print or click any other fields or quit printing. The only way to get out of that is to force the app to quit and to restart it. And the only way to get the note printed is to link it to the link to form field to ‘activities’ of another file with fewer entries and later eliminate the link.
    Any idea how to solve this issue?

Picklist
    I created several pick lists, quite a number. But when I edit a pick list and get out of it the program automatically adds another entry with the name ‘valor nuevo’ (I run an office in Spain and use the Spanish version).
    I then have to eliminate one by one these entries but when I come back and edit the picklist it appears again.
    Do you know how to solve that?

Time field
    I created in ‘activities’ a time field and I enabled the 24-hour-mode (since I am from Europe). The point is that when I introduce a time with 10:00 hours or 11:00 hours it automatically changes to 22:00 hours or 23:00 hours when you quit the menu. The only way to avoid that is to open the pop-up menu, to introduce the time in the correspondent field, and then not to click enter but to abandon the pop-menu by clicking with the cursor anywhere outside the pop-up menu in order to close it. Otherwise, it changes automatically to 22:00 or 23:00 hours.
    This happens only with 10:00 or 11:00 hours and not with 08:00, 09:00 or 12:00, 13:00, etc. Only 10 and 11.
    Any solution?

Thank you very much for coming back and stay safe

Andreas

November 20, 2020 at 2:11 AM #42650

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Andreas,

I’m not sure what’s causing the hanging to happen when printing the Link to Form field. If you’d be willing to send me an archive of the parent form, then I can do some tests here to find out where the hangup is. But also, Tap Forms can’t print a record that has fields that span more than a single page. So if the Link to Form field has many linked records, it would print only a single page’s worth.

Ya, I’m also not sure what’s up with your Pick Lists. So when you click on the + button to add a new value and then you type in a new value and press Return to save it, you’re getting this New Value appear after you close and re-open the Pick List edit screen? Did you try pressing the Return key after you enter a new value to allow Tap Forms to accept it?

Tap Forms uses Apple’s NSDataDetectors framework to try to guess what value you’re typing into a Time field. So I’m guessing that Apple’s framework is not guessing properly. However, I just did a test by setting my language and region to Spanish / Spain and I did not encounter this issue. So I’m not entirely sure why it’s happening to you.

January 18, 2021 at 12:13 PM #43239

Andreas Fuss
    Participant

Hello Brendan,

Thank you for your quick reply. Not like me :-(

Printing out of Link to form field
    In the meantime, I found the reason why – or better when – the program crashes when I try to print.
    I use an Epson WF-4740 Series printer. The language of the menu is Spanish. When I press ‘Print’ the printing menu pops up and I see the Tap Forms Mac 5 printing options.
    Under ‘General’ I can see two sections:

<strong>Imprimir (Print)
    You have the choice between:
    – ‘Imprimir los registros seleccionados’ (‘Print the selected registries’) and
    – ‘Imprimir todos los registros’ (‘Print all registries’). This option is preset.

Imprimir presentación (Print presentation)
    You have, amongst others, the choice between
    – Tabla de registros (table of registries). This option is preset.
    – The second options is Detalles (1 registro por página) (Details (1 registry per page))

The program only crashes when I want to print the details (1 registry per page) and change the preset options. Furthermore, it depends on the sequence of clicks.

When I click first ‘Print the selected registries’ and then ‘Details (1 registry per page), no problem, no crash.

But when I click first ‘Details (1 registry per page) the program needs a certain time to set the option. When I then try to set ‘Print the selected registries’ it crashes. The program thinks the whole time and it’s impossible to set the option (or do anything else).

And as I said before, it only happens when you have a lot of registries. Otherwise, it doesn’t crash regardless of the sequence of clicks. Only when you have a lot of registries.

Picklist
    As to your question: The problem appears when I create a new picklist, modify an existing picklist, or when I open a picklist to have a look. For instance, I open a picklist, click on the + button, and then Ok. At this moment, everything is fine. It enters my new value and that’s it. But when I go back and want to use the picklist in a form I see then sometimes (not every time) an additional value called valor nuevo (new value) at the end of the picklist. I then have to go back and to eliminate that entry and it’s fine.
    Sometimes it happens also with other picklists I don’t even have a look at. I want to use the picklist, see it added randomly at the end ‘new value’, then have to go to the picklist to erase that entry (new value).
    This is the reason why I regularly check the picklists for those random entries.

Perhaps these notes help you. It’s not a big problem for me, but above all the printing issue is annoying because sometimes I click the wrong sequence.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.