Printing forms

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Simon Smailus
    Participant

I’ve used Tapforms for many years on and off. To be honest, there are many uses I would have for work save one big hassle—printing. Every time I try to print I have to spend ages fiddling with with settings to get this to work. This stops me using it for anything requiring printing.

My main complaint is that when I have a field with a lot of text in it it gets truncated. Is there any way to get text in the print dialogue to wrap and take as much space as needed?

February 15, 2022 at 8:42 PM #46756

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Simon,

Adding a dynamic row height option to the Print system is on my to-do list. But in the meantime, I added the ability to adjust the font size and the row height to the Print panel. So Tap Forms will wrap the contents of Note fields to fit within those bounds.

But it’s not fully dynamic to automatically contain all the content for a Note field. It will still truncate if there’s not enough row height or with a too large of a font size.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 16, 2022 at 4:29 AM #46765

Simon Smailus
    Participant

Thanks Brendan,

But I’m afraid this is just one issue amongst many. Often forms don’t fit on the paper, checkboxes are in odd places, text is truncated. If this requires so much work for every form, it becomes impossible to use. I have a form that has a subtable and it won’t print all the entries, but truncates. Cannot find a way to overcome this. The end result is hours lost just trying to print a database. There are many things I don’t like about Ninox, but printing just works. I’d encourage you to give this some thought, as sharing data is crucial for any business, and if the user cannot generate a PDF quickly from the data, then they will use something else.

February 16, 2022 at 3:06 PM #46773

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Simon,

Agreed. If you could email me your list of printing issues then I’ll work on correcting them. If you can provide screenshots and a sample file for me to print that demonstrates the issues that would be very helpful and I’ll work on fixing it.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 19, 2022 at 12:37 PM #46790

Chris Ju
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

i agree with Simon. Also missing page breaks with custom layouts is a big problem for printing.

Thanks,
    Chris

February 20, 2022 at 12:37 AM #46791

Brendan
    Keymaster

Chris, layouts are a fixed size that you configure. If you have multiple pages to print per record, add a new layout and set the “Print Next” option.

February 20, 2022 at 12:46 AM #46792

Chris Ju
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

that’s what i’m doing right now… However, this is very cumbersome with longer texts, because then you have to have several note fields and then distribute them to the layouts. Unfortunately, this is not possible with longer tables, even with several layouts, because you cannot be splitted.

Thanks
    Chris

February 20, 2022 at 2:11 AM #46794

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, splitting Note fields between different boxes on different pages is something I’d like to address in a future version. It’s complicated. As in, I don’t know how to do it, so I have to do a bunch of research and figure out how it’s done :)

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.