Printing forms with Notes fields

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Wynne Brown
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    I’m brand-new to Tap Forms, and so far, I’m very impressed — thank you for the thousands of hours you’ve put into it!

I’m trying to create a catalog of paintings by an 1880s artist and will eventually have about 300 records. I’ve created a form using the default layout with 12 fields of various types, including Text, Date, Checkbox, Notes, and Photo.
    For the Text fields, I’m limiting the text to just a line or two.

In some cases, I need to add a description of as many as 200 words, so I’ve chosen to use the Notes field for those. In the single-column list view, they look just fine. But if I try to print the form or save it as a PDF (I’m working a new-ish Mac laptop, running OS 10.13.5), only the first six lines show up.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using a custom layout?

My apologies if I haven’t explained this very clearly … and thank you again for creating a program that’s SO close to perfect for what I need!

Cheers,
    Wynne

July 17, 2018 at 9:20 PM #30045

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Wynne,

Thanks for the kind words! I’m glad you’re liking Tap Forms so far!

Note fields on the Default Layout when printed should print the full note contents up to 1 page’s height. But if you’re printing the “Table of records” print layout, then you’ll need to adjust the row height.

Maybe if you email me at support@tapforms.com with some sample output then I can help you out some more.

Thanks!

Brendan

July 17, 2018 at 9:26 PM #30046

Wynne Brown
    Participant

Wow, that was FAST — thank you, Brendan!

Even when I adjust the row height to 14, the text still gets cut off at six lines … I’ll go ahead and email a PDF to you.

And, again, many thanks!

Cheers,
    Wynne

July 17, 2018 at 10:08 PM #30047

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Wynne,

Sorry for this issue. It turns out it’s a bug with the Note field where it’s truncating the content. It does that when displaying notes on the Single Column List View, but it shouldn’t do that when printing. I’ve adjusted my code to prevent the truncation when using the “Table of records” print layout. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The fix will be in my 5.3 update.

Thanks!

Brendan

July 18, 2018 at 10:18 AM #30066

Wynne Brown
    Participant

Thank you, Brendan — that’s a relief to know it’s not something I’m doing wrong … :-)
    I’ll look forward to the 5.3 update while enjoying the rest of the great features of Tap Forms!

Again, many thanks for responding so fast!

Cheers,
    Wynne

January 6, 2024 at 7:19 PM #50294

Surya Paidimarry
    Participant

Hi All,

I am a new user of Tap Forms, I am trying to print a notes field containing 4 pages of information, irrespective of the view and the above-mentioned settings, the print option saving as pdf is still truncating the info after 1stpage. Please advise.

January 7, 2024 at 8:33 PM #50295

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Surya,

The issue above was slightly different. But in a new version of Tap Forms I’m working on, the Default Layout view will print the Note field and automatically span across pages if it doesn’t fit. I don’t know when the next version will be ready, but I’m still busy working on it.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.