Preparing to import to a table

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Bob Kerr
    Participant

I’m playing with tables prior to importing a database from FMP (via Excel).

The easiest way to describe it is with the attached images. I have a FMP database with the shown fields populated with data. I want to export it to Excel then import it to TF via Excel.

I set up the empty table (shown) and was expecting to be able to name all of the cells (table fields) in the table so that the records would land in the right places when I do the import.

I’ve either not understood how this works or not looked in the right places because I can’t see how I name the the individual cells in the table with field names.

I can always just use separate fields and a custom layout but the table option would be much nicer, if it’s possible.

Thanks

Bob.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 18, 2018 at 12:15 PM #31850

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

If you want to use a Table field, instead of putting individual fields on your custom layout, you just drag out the Table field to your custom layout and Tap Forms will generate the same type of table display you see on the Default Layout.

The problem is that you can’t import into a Table field.

However, perhaps instead of using a Table field, you could setup a separate form that you import into. Then add a Link to Form field with the Join Link Type. Hopefully from your FileMaker Pro database you’ll have a common field between your Quote form and your Prices form. Then you can let Tap Forms populate the table for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.