Possible to show calculation row on parent form?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Possible to show calculation row on parent form?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Nelson Barry IV
    Participant

Hi Brendan, thanks for all your hard work!

Relative newbie and can’t seem to figure out if what I’m trying to do is possible or not.

I work with lawyers as a graphic designer so they often have me working on multiple cases. So I have a setup with Customers (Lawyers), with a child form of Clients (individual cases I’m working on), with a child form Client time log.

I have the total hours and dollars showing on the Client form like I want, want just wondering if I can display those totals on the Customers form. Not sure if I can create a calculation field that will sum up the time logs in another way, or if I’m trying to use the program in a way that it’s not designed for.

Sorry if this is a newbie question or if it is covered elsewhere. I tried to find this answer, but did not see anything relevant. Thanks again for all the hard work!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 22, 2015 at 10:29 PM #15056

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Nelson,

I’ll have that in the next update (3.5.7). Currently it just displays the count of the number of records that are linked. You’ll have to set the Calculation Field and the Calculation Type on the child form though. Tap Forms will use that field to put the calculation result in there. But I’m wondering if I should put both the count of child records AND the calculation result in there.

See attached.

Thanks,

Brendan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 22, 2015 at 10:30 PM #15058

Brendan
    Keymaster

It does seem silly to have the word “Total” appear on every line though. Really it should be appended to the field name in the header. But I’m just using the same code I use to generate the calculation result at the bottom of the record list view.

October 26, 2015 at 1:02 PM #15086

Nelson Barry IV
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response, just glad to know I wasn’t missing something simple. Downloading 3.5.6 now, will readdress this issue when 3.5.7.

Thanks again for the response and the awesome software!

October 28, 2015 at 7:43 PM #15100

Ronlangara
    Participant

Brendan,
    This sounds like the ability to show the result of calculated fields from the child within the parent form. Is this what is coming in the next version?

If so that would be great.
    Regards
    Ron

October 28, 2015 at 11:03 PM #15102

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ron,

It’s basically just showing the aggregate calculation in the records list view from the child records the parent is linked to. So I guess that meets your definition I think. You have to set the child form’s “Calculation Field” and “Calculation Type” properties. Then the result of that calculation will be displayed in the Link to Form field on the parent.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 9, 2015 at 8:29 PM #15166

Ronlangara
    Participant

Hi
    I am now on 3.5.7 and have this working and it is a great help, but only partially addresses the actual ability to display the results of multiple calculations within the child on the parent form. Right now as I understand it I can only get a single calculated result of total, average, etc. from one field. I would like to be able to show the results from several different calculations carried out on the child db within the parents form as a kind of quick synopsis of the data therein.

Any idea if this is possible, which I realize is long and not everyone else’s priorities will match mine so I have to live with your determinations, and if so when it may hit the to do list.

thanks again for a great product.
    Ron

November 11, 2015 at 6:22 PM #15174

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ron,

I’m not sure about showing every calculation. You can pick whichever calculation you want it to display of course. To do this Tap Forms would have to compute all the calculations for all of the summary row calculation field settings and then lay them out in an understandable way for each record, possibly just comma separated or something like that. But then it’ll need to have the field names next to it. It would get very messy. I’m not liking that. And it’ll slow things down.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.