possible to link to a local app?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Pandora
    Participant

I have the need to link to a local app on my Mac,say an image editor or text editor, depending on the needs of the current record. I tried the “File Attachment” field type but that doesn’t launch my apps. Is this currently possible or, if not, can it be considered for a future release?

Thanks.

November 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM #7542

Brendan
    Keymaster

The File Attachment field should launch the app which is responsible for the file type you attached. Click on the file icon to the left of the file attachment field and it should launch the app.

If you have the URL to an app then you could use a Website link. I know that Evernote supports that sort of thing.

November 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM #7567

Pandora
    Participant

@ Brendan, Thanks. I’ve defined a field with the type “File Attachment” and then chose a file to launch using the icon to the right of the garbage can on that field. Then I clicked the apps’ icon shown to the right. Nothing happened (other than the icon changing shades on click).

attached is a Console log. Maybe that will help identify the problem.

-Pan

November 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM #7569

Brendan
    Keymaster

So the solution to the task of launching another app from within Tap Forms is to use a Website address field and then put a URL to the application in the field.

For example to launch Tap Forms: (not that you would launch Tap Forms while running Tap Forms)

file:///Applications/Tap%20Forms.app

or Sketch

file:///Applications/Sketch.app

Thanks!

Brendan

September 13, 2018 at 11:17 AM #30605

Hi Brendan,

I’d like to open GarageBand projects from TapForms with a website field, launching GB is ok with file:///Applications/GarageBand.app
    but if I put a project path instead
    file:///Users/me/Music/GarageBand/Project1.band
    the Finder says ” TapForms app is not allowed to open Project1″

Is there any solution for that ?

Thanks

Jean Christophe

September 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM #30606

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hmm… I’m not sure about that. It’s most likely a security issue that macOS is preventing you from doing. Tap Forms is simply telling the operating system to open the file itself when you use the Website Address field like that.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.