Portrait photos are oriented wrong

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

thinkingcat
    Participant

I upgraded to Tap Forms 5 (from TapForms 3!) about a month go. It seems that all the new photos I add (at least on my iPhone) are rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise if the original was portrait mode. All the photos in older records (i.e., imported with the upgrade) are oriented correctly in the database, no matter the original photo’s orientation.

I can’t imagine what I’m doing that’s different than everyone else…? The sideways photos are killing me.

Leslie.

July 31, 2017 at 9:49 AM #23824

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Leslie,

Are the photos that are rotated taken with the camera within Tap Forms or selected from the Photo Library?

One of my other customers had this issue, but it seemed to only be when he selected from a particular album and not from other albums or the Camera Roll.

I have been unable to reproduce this issue unfortunately.

July 31, 2017 at 9:54 AM #23825

thinkingcat
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

The photos are selected from the Camera Roll of the Photo Library (i.e., not taken within Tap Forms).

I can reproduce it with sad regularity — what other info can I give you?

I do wonder if it’s related to the fact that the database was imported from my older version of Tap Forms (3-point-whatever). The database field is set up to resize photos to 1024×1024.

Leslie.

August 2, 2017 at 6:30 PM #23849

thinkingcat
    Participant

Sigh. There was a longer version of this posting, but WordPress threw it away.

The short version is: it’s tied to the field resizing the photos.

I created a new form, added photos to it with no orientation problems. Then I set the field to resize photos to 1024×1024. All the existing records’ photos remained properly oriented. Any new photo added had its orientation screwed up if it wasn’t landscape.

Hope you can replicate that readily on your end, and that there’s an easy fix — I rely on putting photos in my databases, and don’t have the space to store full-resolution images.

Leslie.

August 3, 2017 at 11:57 AM #23860

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah! Bingo!

Ok, I’ll work on a fix for that one.

Don’t know how I missed that. I take very few portrait orientation photos and rarely do I have the scale setting turned on, so that why I missed it.

Thanks for finding that.

August 3, 2017 at 12:03 PM #23861

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, I found the bug. You and kCGImageSourceCreateThumbnailWithTransform are my friends now :)

August 3, 2017 at 1:56 PM #23866

thinkingcat
    Participant

Excellent — Glad to be helpful!

Leslie.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.