Picklist in all forms

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Wolfgang
    Participant

Hello,
    I created some picklists and want to use them in some forms.
    But now I see, that I can’t..!?
    I hope it’s just an operating error on my part…

Wolfgang

June 3, 2020 at 12:37 PM #40781

tonyt
    Participant

In edit form mode, select the field you want to use a pick list in, and then scroll down to find the section that says define default pick list, or similar. Then you can select one of the pick lists you have already defined.
    Roughly as not in front of my machine, but easy to do….

June 3, 2020 at 2:00 PM #40783

Wolfgang
    Participant

Thank you for your info. I know how to assign a picklist to a field.
    But i want to be able to use my picklists once created in ALL forms, and that seems impossible to me. It looks as if picklists are tied to a form … In any case, the menu in my form does not show me picklists that has been created so far!
    I often have the same picklist (cities of Germany, photo locations, etc.) which should gradually be filled with content together. And should be used in various databases (forms).
    It makes no sense to create them several times, simply because you then have redundant data! Not to speak of double work…
    I sincerely hope that there is something suitable.

June 3, 2020 at 2:35 PM #40784

Chris Medeiros
    Participant

Hi Wolfgang,

I am able to select any of the Pick Lists that I have created and add them to fields on any of my forms. I have many Pick Lists that are reused on multiple forms. There is no global (assign to ALL forms option) that I’m aware of, but I can assign the same Pick List, manually to each form if I wish.

Do you mean assigning Pick Lists between Documents possibly?

June 3, 2020 at 2:44 PM #40785

Wolfgang
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    you have all forms in one document?
    Yes, for every purposes (databases and linked files) I have an own document consisting of different forms. It is true that some picklists should be available across the board in various documents…

June 3, 2020 at 3:04 PM #40787

Chris Medeiros
    Participant

I do have all my forms in one Document for my business related forms. Seems to work fine for me. I may stand to be corrected, but my understanding of Documents is they’re to help keep totally unrelated forms separate.

I keep all my (related/business) Forms in one Document and Personal (Home Inventory) Forms in another Document.

Below is an attachment with my ever expanding business forms under one Document.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    June 3, 2020 at 3:24 PM #40789

Wolfgang
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    that’s ok and great.I work that way too, just a little more separately with the documents.
    Now my question is whether you can also use a picklist from business document for personal document? Because e.g. the federal states in Germany are always the same and I only want to create ONE list for that and use it for all documents/forms. If I have to change something in this picklist, I only want to change it only at one place.

June 3, 2020 at 5:08 PM #40791

Chris Medeiros
    Participant

Hey Wolfgang,

Okay. You’ve tapped out my expertise on the topic of Pick Lists. I cannot give you a definite yes or no. I suspect it’s no, but maybe there’s a script that can be written to accomplish your goal. I don’t know. Hopefully, someone with more Tap Forms experience will be able to supply you with a better answer.

I can think of a possible workaround. Do you have a form that contains a record for each Federal State? What if you export the records from your Federal States form, import it into your 2nd Document’s Form and then create a new Pick List in that Form using the “Use Values from field” option. Could that work?

June 3, 2020 at 11:31 PM #40795

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I don’t believe you could a single list, though if you put the states in a form you could export and re-import the form for each document. Each document is its own standalone document store without anything shared between documents. You could also potentially automate it with a script that pulled from a location and added/removed states.

June 4, 2020 at 2:01 AM #40797

Brendan
    Keymaster

Each document is a separate database. If you right-click on a .tapforms document file in the Finder, you can choose Show Package Contents. You’ll see inside there a properties file and a folder that’s the document ID. Within that is the db.sqlite file. That is the SQLite database file. Since a Pick List is stored within that db.sqlite file, it’s self contained along with the forms that reference it. So you cannot have a Pick List that is available within separate documents. Because there’s no single database file that contains every form for every document. Each document has its own separate database file.

But if you have a form that has a Pick List in it, you can export the form as a .tff file (Tap Forms Form Template), and import that into another document. The Pick Lists that are linked to any fields within the form will go along with the form.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.