Pick Lists (value Lists)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

John Harris
    Participant

Greetings,

I have created pick lists to streamline my report writing.

Here’s the problem.
    The picker duplicates my values without me asking it to. To make matters worse I can’t seem delete the duplicates. This is not a new issue – it’s just that now, when I am needing a really stable value lists process it seems to have a mind of its own.

Question: How do i make the system only add/edit values when I go to the editing box. What current logic is being employed to create/edit values outside the editing box?

Any assistance would be most appreciated. Otherwise all going well. Fantastic application.

John Harris

June 11, 2016 at 3:08 AM #17320

John Harris
    Participant

One more thing – he order of each line item in the pick list gets mixed up. In the selection box I have my line items in a specific order. It would be nice if they stayed that way when I am back in the form. This value list system seems a little eccentric. Would love to know the logic.

June 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM #17338

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you’re adding to the list from the Select a Value popover view, then Tap Forms will insert new values at the top. If any of your values have commas in them, they’ll be split out onto separate lines.

You can edit the Pick List values and add new ones and rearrange their order on the Edit Pick List screen. There’s a sort function you can access there. There isn’t anything more eccentric than that. Or perhaps you were referring to adding values at the same time you’re picking them. That’s there just as a quick convenience to add new values without having to go to the Edit Pick List screen.

June 13, 2016 at 4:57 AM #17348

John Harris
    Participant

I’ve been working with multi-select pick lists and there seems to be a conundrum. This is what I am seeing . . .

When I add a value in the form layout the new value does not appear in the dialog view. The two views are therefor not the same – why is this? Further, there does not appear to be a way to delete a value in the form view. If I try to delete the value by deleting the text in the text box TF creates a new value – with no text. So… TF seems to create values for the same list in two places with two different results and does not allow me to remove unwanted values in the form view.
    I’ve got around the problem by keeping multi-select off.

Any assistance where I might be going wrong would be great. As always – I appreciate your help.
    John

June 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM #17349

Brendan
    Keymaster

The new value will be added to the Pick List if you click on the + button (or press return after entering in a value) on the select a value popover. It won’t add new values just by typing them into the field. I just did some testing on both the Default Layout and a custom layout and whenever I add a value to the Pick List via the select a value popover, then I check the Edit Pick List screen to see if that new value has been added, it has. So it appears to be working as intended. Using the 3.5.14 version for Mac.

October 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM #25308

Mandie Davis
    Participant

I have the same problem. When I enter a new value to the Pick List it’s sometimes duplicated and sometimes not. I went in to edit it and tried to remove one of the duplicates … but both disappeared so now I have lost all records that used that option.

Is it because I have added new values when actually adding information to the form rather than adding it on the Pick List?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Mandie

October 10, 2017 at 2:25 PM #25314

Brendan
    Keymaster

Removing a value from a Pick List will not remove all the records that referenced that value. I’m a bit confused by that. Perhaps I misunderstood. Sorry.

You can add information to a form independently of adding information to the Pick List. The only thing a Pick List does is makes a list of values available to you. When you select a value from a Pick List, a copy of that value is made and put into the field on your form. There’s no connection between the value and the Pick List after that (other than looking up the colour from the Pick List if you’ve set one).

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.