Pick list based upon table field

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Brendan

Have been using TapForms for a while now and love how it has evolved and grown on the Mac and IOS.

I know this question is really based upon the structure of the database but if a pick list could reference a field in another table for its values that would go a long way in the database. Right now a linked table cannot display its values in the column view.

As an example

I have a projects table and I link task, team members and logs to the project and to each other. If on the task list I have a pick list that referenced the Projects Table that field should be able to be included in the column sorting and other places where linked information would not currently show, or at least in my perfect world that is how it would work.

Not many databases offer this for pick list type fields but I think it would serve a great purpose!

Thanks for all of your hard work on TapFoms, it was a great find after Bento folded!

Ray

February 7, 2016 at 12:58 PM #15890

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ray,

I have been thinking about this the past couple of days actually. Having a dynamic Pick List where you choose which form and which field from that form you want the values to be retrieved from. I keep wondering though how to store the data. If I store the reference to the original value in the database then you have the ability to change the original value where it came from and it would change that value everywhere. But that means that you can’t really sort on that field because the value stored in the database is some randomly generated ID.

If I copy the value into the field then I can search and sort on it, but then it prevents you from changing the original and having it update the occurrence of that value everywhere it’s referenced.

So some things for me to figure out.

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s definitely something I would like to figure out.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM #15892

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the quick reply.

It seems you would have to populate an interim table with the values and then keep it updated with changes from the Link value column, new values and hopefully not deletions. Also this would need to have a unique capability so it only had one copy of a particular value from the selected column.

Thanks for considering the idea!

Ray

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.