Photos missing

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

I made a backup of Tap Forms 4 and upgraded to version 5. None of the photos of 1,000 records are visible in the new version. What should I do?

September 18, 2016 at 10:52 PM #19621

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lorenz,

If you have iCloud sync enabled on your Tap Forms 4 version, tap on the Enable Sync switch to turn it off and then choose the “Keep a Local Copy” option when prompted. Wait for Tap Forms to download all of the photos from iCloud. It might take a while. Then make the backup file again. It should include the photos now.

September 19, 2016 at 6:16 AM #19625

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Sadly this didn’t help. I followed your instructions, but photos still don’t show up. Interestingly, they are present in the iPhone and iPad version, but not the Mac. Anything else to try?

Thanks,

Lorenz

September 19, 2016 at 9:26 AM #19631

Brendan
    Keymaster

Copy the .tapforms document from your iPhone or iPad over to your Mac.

You should only migrate your database on ONE device anyway. Then transfer the already migrated document to your other devices. If you migrate on each device you’ll never get them to sync because they won’t be a copy of the same database on each device. They may look like they are, but will have different internal IDs for all the data and they won’t sync.

September 19, 2016 at 6:13 PM #19644

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

How do I copy the .tapforms document to the Mac?

September 19, 2016 at 8:12 PM #19648

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can use iTunes File Sharing to copy a document from your iOS device to your Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201301

September 19, 2016 at 9:21 PM #19650

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

It still does not work. I copied the .tapforms document through iTunes. It was a 2.8GB file, when I opened in Tap Forms 5 it became a 2.2GB file. What happened to the 600MB? I am at my wit’s end! Also beamed my iPhone Tap Forms 5 database with all the photos to the Mac and when I opened it the photos were all gone! Please help I can’t stand this.

September 19, 2016 at 10:16 PM #19651

Brendan
    Keymaster

And all the photos still show up on the iPhone version?

Could you zip the .tapforms document and send me a copy of it? Perhaps via Dropbox. Then I can examine it to try and find out why the images are not displaying on the Mac version.

September 20, 2016 at 2:09 AM #19654

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Brendan, images went missing again tonight. I’ve made a screencast. Unfortunately, the audio is very distorted, but you don’t really need to hear it to see what happens. That video is at https://youtu.be/84rpho8cgqM There was also an issue with an image that TapForms had renamed with one of its cryptic code names, although when previewed, you could see that it had a text name.

After making that screencast, I went back to the generic image icon you see at the end of the first video, and the name had changed to the text name of one of the missing images! I clicked out of the record and back in, and the name had changed again to that of another of the missing images!! I tried to do a screencast, but by the time I got set up, it had changed back to the code name and didn’t budge during the screencast. I know how that sounds, but I swear it’s true. Anyway, the video where I describe what happened but, unfortunately, I couldn’t get it to happen again, is here:https://youtu.be/p_kPZK9TwsQ

September 20, 2016 at 6:40 AM #19655

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

Hi Brendan, yes, the photos show up in the iPhone and iPad versions but not on the Mac. Attached are screenshots. I am also uploading the zip file and send you the link.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM #19662

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lorenz,

Have you sent the link to download the file yet? I haven’t seen it just yet.

September 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM #19663

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Oops, I posted my last comment on the wrong thread. I will move it to the right one. Please feel free to delete that comment and this one.

September 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM #19665

Brendan
    Keymaster

Frances, I think I’ve just fixed the problem you were having. Would you like to try out this updated version?

September 20, 2016 at 1:02 PM #19667

Frances Cherman
    Participant

YES!!! How do I get it?

September 20, 2016 at 3:50 PM #19672

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lorenz,

Are you sure you wanted to post the link to your database? I assumed you would just email it to me.

September 20, 2016 at 3:50 PM #19675

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve just deleted the post so that it’s not public. I’m downloading it now.

September 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM #19676

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lorenz,

Ok, so I downloaded your file and all of the images are showing properly on my Mac.

Did you select a record to display the details for?

September 20, 2016 at 5:49 PM #19680

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

Yes of course I am clicking on the individual candidate to see the details. I am puzzled that it shows up for you. What could be the reason. Is there a setting in the new version that I have to enable?

September 20, 2016 at 8:02 PM #19686

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s a very good question.

See the attached for what I am seeing with your file.

Attachments:
    September 20, 2016 at 8:03 PM #19689

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s no setting to enable showing the photos. Try a different custom layout or the Default Layout.

Which OS X version do you have?

I’m using Sierra.

September 20, 2016 at 9:01 PM #19700

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

I have the developer beta of Sierra. Let me upgrade to the release version. Maybe that helps. Will report back. Thanks.

September 21, 2016 at 4:27 AM #19706

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

It might have been that I had a beta version of Tap Forms 5. Just downloaded the release version and the photos show up! Thank you, Lorenz

September 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM #19715

Brendan
    Keymaster

Awesome! Problem solved.

March 24, 2018 at 11:08 AM #27970

Susan Krzywicki
    Participant

I am having what seems like a similar problem. I have Tap Forms on my iPhone X and on my MacBook. I went out and took pictures on my iPhone and used that functionality within Tap Forms to snap the picture right into the app (which I love). But when I came back to my MacBook, the photos did not show up. Some are just a blank white square, others have that icon for a photo image. Could it just be slow transferring? I have been waiting about 45 minutes….

I click on the icons, both to see the image and to download the image, but nothing happens. I can see them in my iPhone just fine.

Tap Forms Version 5.2.8 (Build 888) Mac and version 5.2.8 (825) on my iPhone X

Attachments:
    March 24, 2018 at 11:25 AM #27972

Brendan
    Keymaster

What macOS version do you have?

It could be that Tap Forms is taking HEIF (High Efficiency Image Format) on iOS, but that format’s not available on macOS. I believe that format is supported in High Sierra.

You could tell Tap Forms to scale the images instead by setting the default photo size for your Photo field. That’ll tell Tap Forms for iOS to scale the images and they’ll automatically be stored as JPEG files which should be readable on macOS.

Viewing 24 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.