Photos don't export

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

anthony martino
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m using Tap Forms 4.0 and sharing files via iTunes. Photos do not seem to export/import and thus backups/ and restore do not function properly for our customers as they once did. The photos folder for the zip files show 0 bytes and export media is turned on. Furthurmore, upon export of the records themselves, in the Phololog.csv file, column H for Photograph<photo> is blank indicating that there is no linking of photos occurring on exportation of data. Sync is turned off as well.

February 3, 2017 at 3:10 PM #21042

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

Do you have the Export setting turned on for the Photos field? Although if you didn’t the header wouldn’t show up.

It may be possible that when the photos were added, iCloud sync was enabled. So try turning iCloud sync on again and see if that makes a difference. When you have iCloud sync enabled, Tap Forms stores the photos in a different location (not accessible via iTunes File Sharing). So by re-enabling iCloud sync it will tell Tap Forms to look for the photos where they were created.

After you re-enable iCloud sync, you can disable it again if you want, but this time choose the “Keep a Local Copy” option when asked for that if you like.

February 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM #21140

anthony martino
    Participant

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. Yes, Export setting is turned on. I tried your suggestion but had no luck. I tried various attempts at enabling/disabling icloud sync with choosing ‘Keep a Local Copy’ but the photos were simply not there after the restore.

I have to point out, in this scenario, this issue occurs when the photos are taken with a DIFFERENT tablet than the one being used to restore with Tap Forms. If I use the same tablet that was used to take the photos (the one that has the photos stored locally), the issue doesn’t occur, EVEN IF THOSE PHOTOS ARE DELETED FROM THE DEVICE.

February 16, 2017 at 1:55 PM #21143

anthony martino
    Participant

It might be the actual process that my company uses for backup/restore. This issue arose basically because restoring a backup would occasionally fail with the message ‘Restore Failed’ being displayed. Now I just ran a restore that gave me that message on a restore I just ran a few minutes ago that worked fine and it now just failed. That was I had followed the procedure set down by my predecessor and that might be what is causing the issue.

Here we use iTunes File Sharing and under Tap Forms HD Documents manually delete files from the tablet where tap Forms reside and where the sqlite db folder are. Not sure this is the correct method as it seems akward to me. Basically I delete the Audio recordings, Drawings, (Inbox doesn’t delete), Photos, Share, TapForms_db.sqlite, and any .zip files I don’t want before I copy any new .zip files that I’m trying to restore.

Is there a more acceptable method of removing and clearing these files and refreshing the sqlite db?

February 16, 2017 at 2:55 PM #21144

Brendan
    Keymaster

When you tap on a photo on the one that won’t export the photos, do you see the photo full size?

February 17, 2017 at 6:42 AM #21147

anthony martino
    Participant

Yes, it is full size.

February 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM #21155

anthony martino
    Participant

Ok, so it definately looks like Sync Service and Enable Synce place a HUGE part in Tap Form’s ability to properly backup/restore and export records. How has this not been addressed previously?

If Sync Service is set to None and Enable Sync is turn off, and you have a field of type Photo and try to take a photo and save it, for one, Tap Forms will crash with those settings.

February 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM #21161

anthony martino
    Participant

Tap Forms also crashes with Sync Service set to DropBox, and Sync turned on surprisingly while trying to save a photo that you just took with the ‘Use Photo’ Button. So why does Tap forms REQUIRE you to have Sync Service set to iCloud ans Sync turned on in order to properly handle photos????????

February 17, 2017 at 5:47 PM #21175

Brendan
    Keymaster

It shouldn’t require you to have sync set to iCloud. However, I’ve made big improvements in the sync in Tap Forms 5, so there’s no more development going into Tap Forms 4.0.7 unless there’s an OS update which prevents it from launching.

When you have sync set to use iCloud, the photos are stored in a different location on your device than the folder that Tap Forms backups up. So it’s missing those. Disabling sync and selecting the Keep a Local Copy should copy all of those images from iCloud to the local device and should allow the backup to include all the photos.

February 17, 2017 at 5:48 PM #21176

Brendan
    Keymaster

By the way, sometime before June I’ll be uploading a new build of 4.0 which removes Dropbox sync support. That’s because in June, Dropbox is shutting down the Dropbox Sync API servers which Tap Forms currently uses for enabling Dropbox sync. So iCloud will be the only option after that. Or you can move to 5.x which will have 4 different sync solutions to choose from including iCloud, but not Dropbox.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.