Photo info on csv export

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Devon
    Participant

Hey Brendon,

I was looking for a database app for completing audits. what you have created is brilliant and looks like it will be able to do almost exactly what i want. I just have a query with the photo option.

As part of the audit, I will be taking a photo. The idea being that once the daily audit is complete I will export the csv file, and load into the access database to complete our reports. It appears that when you complete the export, there is nothing in the csv file that relates to the photo.

Very cool app. thanks again

Dev

April 15, 2010 at 3:26 PM #4041

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Devon,

CSV files don’t have the ability to include photos because they are just text files. Unfortunately at this time the only way to get the photos out is to save them to your photo library and sync with iTunes, or to do a backup from within Tap Forms using SyncDocs. The backup function is on the Tools tab.

This is an area I will need to improve for a future version. However, at the moment I am focused on the iPad version having just released my latest update to Tap Forms for iPhone. The major new feature of Tap Forms for iPhone is the addition of the “Link to Form” field type for setting up one-to-many relationships.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 16, 2010 at 9:06 AM #4042

Devon
    Participant

Hey Brendan,

I understand you must be flat out at the moment getting ready for the iPad. I get that the csv file would not include the photo, but am i correct in saying that when you export the csv file and pull the photos off(either through itunes, or the Tap Forms back up) there is no way to determine which photos are associated which with record. I guess what i was hoping for a field that got exported in the csv file which contained the photo name, so once outside the app we can link the two.

Thanks anyway,

Devon

April 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM #4043

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Devon,

Yes, unfortunately at the moment your assumption is correct. However, I’m sure that I can squeeze in another update which includes the photo file name in the CSV export before the iPad version is released. I’ll see about working on that this weekend or so. But I don’t know exactly when I will be able to finish that.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 16, 2010 at 10:01 AM #4044

Devon
    Participant

Hey Mate,

If you could that would be great. Im thinking of a work around now as using your app is still by far the most efficient way to do what i want. I guess now you just need people to stop annoying with with posts so you can get on to it :)

Thanks again

Devon

April 22, 2010 at 6:24 PM #4055

Devon
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Have been using tapforms for auditing for the last 2 days. Have loaded pdfs through the ftp site, and created a csv import file that has the file name of the pdf, so it opens with its associated record. it all works extremely well and is going to save us alot of time.

I was wondering if you were able to do anything with adding the photo names to the csv file? The photo file name you get when you to the back up through syncdocs has no bearing on its associated record. My initial thought for a work around was to just have a field in my form with date_time inspected. and when i obtain the photos through syncdocs, I can just sort the by date taken. but the date taken attribute doesnt come with the photo.

I guess i can save each photo to the photo library when i take it, that way getting the date taken attribute but hopefully that is a last resort.

Cheers

Devon

April 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM #4056

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Devon,

Ya, sorry I haven’t had a chance to add the photo file name into the CSV export just yet. I’ve been making a lot of code changes for the iPad version. I’m not ready to release an update to the iPhone version just yet. But it will be in the next update for sure. It’s not that big of a change.

Thanks and sorry for the delay.

Brendan

May 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM #4096

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Devon,

The next update to Tap Forms will have the photo and audio file names added to the CSV export.

I should be releasing it to Apple for approval this weekend.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.