Photo element

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

John Mathew
    Participant

When I capture an image in the photo field, the captured image disappears once I select another record. When I reselect the original record, the image is blank.

Any help appreciated.

September 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM #19356

scneophyte
    Participant

Maybe it’s the bug I encountered earlier today…Make sure you are in the “Edit Field” mode before taking the photo

September 5, 2016 at 5:21 PM #19357

Brendan
    Keymaster

It could be, but hard to tell without knowing the version of Tap Forms being used. John, is this the iOS or Mac version? Direct download version or Mac App Store version?

September 5, 2016 at 7:55 PM #19359

brucel
    Participant

Hi Brendan, I am having a similar issue with photos.
    Using Tapforms v5.0.2 (531) IOS on iPad Air Pro running IOS v9.3.5.
    I am using cloudant sync (which btw works seamlessly compared to iCloud). I am also using encryption on the db.
    My issue is trying to add a photo to any photos field using the + button in the record field. It brings up the photo library just fine and you can select a photo fine but when the select button is pressed, the photo is not added to the field.

Well done on V5 – good step forward in stability and function.
    Regards
    Bruce (from Aus).

September 5, 2016 at 8:04 PM #19360

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bruce,

Not sure why that would be. I just tested it and it’s working. But it could be a data issue (and I’m using a newer build). Could you try a new form and put a Text and Photo field in it, then try adding a photo?

Does that work?

I have submitted version 5.0.3 to Apple for review already. Just waiting for review.

September 6, 2016 at 9:26 AM #19367

John Mathew
    Participant

Just an update…. inspected the photo field in the default layout, only to find lots of blank images in the field. I think these blank images have been the problem. I can only imagine these blank images were somehow automatically imported during the upgrade to V5.

I have purged the blank images and things seem to be behaving as expected.

September 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM #19411

brucel
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    I tried adding a new form (and tried this in a new db as well) same issue. The photo does not load.
    I did tansfer my entire db to v5 with no apparent problems as soon as it was released – but this is the first time I tried to add photos.
    I am travelling at present so do not have access to a Mac version to try things there. I’ll wait for 5.0.3 and try again.
    Regards
    Bruce

September 7, 2016 at 7:00 PM #19412

brucel
    Participant

Brendan,
    Just Updated to 5.0.3
    Issue remains.
    Stubbornly refuses to add any photos.
    Regards
    Bruce

September 7, 2016 at 9:09 PM #19413

brucel
    Participant

Brendan, a bit more info. I tried to add a photo to a record on my iPhone (6S with same iOS & TF 5.0.3). Synced using cloudant.
    The first record I tried allowed me to add a photo! Yeah I thought it’s iPad specific. But no, the second and subsequent records I tried to add photos to failed in the same manner.
    I did go back to the iPad and looked at the synced record for the successful photo add and it was there.
    Hope this helps. Does sound a bit like a data problem.
    Regards
    Bruce

September 8, 2016 at 12:05 PM #19433

Brendan
    Keymaster

Was there an error message displayed when you selected a photo?

September 8, 2016 at 7:34 PM #19444

brucel
    Participant

No there is no error message – it just fails to insert the ‘ticked’ photo from the photos library in the field and returns to the record. The photo field is blank.
    Curiously, I tried adding two new records today and selected two low res web images I had saved to my photos library and to my surprise they worked. I immediately retried adding the higher res images (standard iPhone 6s 12Mp image) in the records I was having trouble with and no dice.
    Pretty weird I know.
    Thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Bruce

September 8, 2016 at 7:48 PM #19445

brucel
    Participant

No there is no error message – it just fails to insert the ‘ticked’ photo from the photos library in the field and returns to the record. The photo field is blank.
    Curiously, I tried adding two new records today and selected two low res web images I had saved to my photos library and to my surprise they worked. I immediately retried adding the higher res images (standard iPhone 6s 12Mp image) in the records I was having trouble with and no dice.
    i then tried adding a low res photo to this record and it added. I then tried adding a second high res and it seemed to remove both photos and the + button leaving the field empty. I went to another record and back into the previous record and the low res photo was there and the + button again but not the hires photo.
    I added a second low res photo and that also added fine.

Btw, when a photo is opened for forwarding or deletion from within the photo field, the delete option gives the option of delete all photos. I’m tempted to try this I case there is some corrupt data in the field but wanted to check if this will just delete all photos in this field in the one record?
    I have hundreds of photos in the db.

Thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Bruce

September 8, 2016 at 8:01 PM #19446

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bruce,

Ok, that’s interesting. Does it work if you use the camera button within Tap Forms to take the photo?

Yes, the Delete All Photos function just deletes the photos from that one record for that one field.

September 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM #19447

Brendan
    Keymaster

I just tested with the camera button and also selecting multiple photos that I had taken previously. No problems. Although maybe it’s a memory issue. What type of iOS device are you using? I’m using an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 6 Plus.

September 10, 2016 at 11:10 AM #19461

brucel
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Apologies if you get this infor twice. I seemed to lose the reply just as it was done.

So I am using an iPad Pro 9.7 and an iPhone 6S both with a ton of memory. I also have an iPhone 5s, iPhone SE and iPad Air 2 in the family using Tapforms. I keep them all on the latest version of IOS. All of them except the 5S have lots of memory. The 5S struggles along with 16GB but I reinstalled it last week after it got full to free some memory (currently ~1GB). Sidebar could this have caused issues? They all sync to cloudant.

Using the iPad Pro, I tried adding a photo using the camera and it worked fine.
    I then (following your memory idea) edited a full resolution (iPhone 6S) photo in my camera roll to crop it to a smaller image. The edited image added fine. I tried another one with just a very small reduction in size (cropping) and it also worked. Tries this several times and all worked.
    At least this has given me a workaround.
    I wonder now if there is a weird photo size threshold issue causing this problem.

Regards
    Bruce

September 10, 2016 at 12:02 PM #19462

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bruce,

Ya that’s very strange. I have another customer who is emailing me about this very same problem.

I still haven’t been able to reproduce it on any of my devices. I can pick as many photos as I like and it seems to work just fine. So I’m not sure what the issue is. There is one bit of code which ignores your selection if the photo’s file name matches any other file attachment name within that particular photo field. It’s puzzling.

September 10, 2016 at 1:34 PM #19463

brucel
    Participant

Yes strange. Let me know if you want me to help test further. I’m happy to.
    Just one other thought. Have you tried adding two photos to the same field in the same record. This has the effect (for me) of appearing to fail and to remove the + button (I assume because there is a limit of two photos) leaving a completely blank field. Going into another record and returning to the original shows the two photos.
    Hoping this might help you since as far as I recall the ability to add two photos is new in v5. I wonder if that has something to do with it?
    I’m actually not sure why you would want to allow two photos in one field as you can add multiple photo fields easily (as I have done)?

Regards
    Bruce

September 11, 2016 at 12:16 AM #19466

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bruce,

I’ve tested with selecting 5 or 6 or more photos at a time without problems.

A lot of people didn’t want to have to create multiple fields to hold multiple photos, so that’s why I added that feature. It was a frequent feature request.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.