PDF file not showing in File Attachment field

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms PDF file not showing in File Attachment field

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Carl Davis Jr
    Participant

iMac – Yosemite OS X 10.10.5
    When selecting to attach a PDF file to the file attachment field, it only shows the file name, not the PDF file itself. However, following a sync (iCloud) of the OS X version of TF over to the iOS version (iPhone) of TF, it does show this PDF file in the attachments folder on the iPhone. Selecting this same PDF file from this attachments folder does bring it over to the File Attachment field in the iOS version of TF.
    What am I missing that only the PDF file name & not the file itself, appears in the File Attachment field in the OS X version of TF?
    Thanks, Carl

March 23, 2016 at 11:59 PM #16179

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Carl,

That’s a good question. Are you using Dropbox for sync? And which version of Tap Forms are you using?

I seem to remember there being an issue a while back with the file attachment field and Dropbox, but it had been corrected in more recent versions.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 24, 2016 at 5:00 AM #16181

Carl Davis Jr
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan

I’m using iCloud with TF version 3.5.13 (Build 747) and iOS version 4.06 (Build 379). Lately, sometimes the PDF file shows in the Attachment field and other times it does not. What strikes me strange is that the PDF file(s) that do not appear in the attachment field in OS X does appear in the same field in the iOS version after synching via iCloud. Should I switch to Dropbox synching?
    Thanks, Carl

March 25, 2016 at 1:04 AM #16197

Brendan
    Keymaster

So if you look inside the Tap Forms HD folder in iCloud Drive, do you see the file in the Attachments folder? The Attachments folder is inside the Share folder there.

You don’t have to switch to Dropbox.

March 25, 2016 at 10:12 AM #16199

Carl Davis Jr
    Participant

Brendan,

I’m not sure how to find the Tap Forms HD folder in iCloud Drive — from the System Preferences -> iCloud?

Anyway, I’ve decided to see what happens if I switch to Dropbox and the same thing is happening, but noticed that the file is actually attached to the file attachment field, but not the pdf icon that normally appears to the left of the attached file. Clicking on the empty space where the pdf icon normally should be will open the file. I first thought only the file label showed up in the file attachment field without realizing that the file is actually there. In short, the file appears without the pdf icon. Any idea why?

Thanks, Carl

March 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM #16206

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Carl,

In the Finder there’s an iCloud Drive folder you can click on. Inside there is the Tap Forms HD folder along with other folders.

The icon that Tap Forms generates comes from the operating system actually. Tap Forms just ask the OS for the icon for the specified file that’s selected. There is a button to the left whether the icon shows or not.

I’m not actually sure why it’s not showing for you there. I just tested it and it’s showing the PDF file icon for me. So it’s a puzzler for sure.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 25, 2016 at 7:09 PM #16209

Carl Davis Jr
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Well, as long as the button on the file attachments field works whether there’s an icon or not should suffice. However, I’ll check and see why I’m having this issue.

By the way, I’m wondering what happened to the files that I’ve detached from the File Attachment Field. Are they still somewhere in the system or have they been trashed (deleted)?

Thanks,

Carl

March 26, 2016 at 12:08 AM #16210

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Carl,

They’re still there because you may be referencing them from other fields. I don’t delete them.

You can find them in The iCloud Drive / Tap Forms HD / Share / Attachments folder on your Mac.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.