Painfully Slow / Un-useable

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Colin Anderson
    Participant

Brendan

First of all – thanks for producing a great piece of software which i found after searching for a replacement for Bento which i used to sync data between mac, iPhone and iPad.

Tap Form ticks all the boxes and i love it but is painfully slow to the point of un-useable. I’ve migrated one table from Bento – which only contains 597 records.

In table view, scrolling up and down i constantly get the beachball.

Granted, my iMac isn’t new – but at 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM i’m not pushing the software – just a basic text based data.

Bento had tens of thousands of records in multiple tables and the iMac handled it with ease.

I cannot fathom out the problem. I’ve done the Vacuum Database / Analyse Database / Re-Index and Re-Build, but still the same annoying beachball while i scroll up and down my records in table format.

Database size is only 35.2MB and my version of Tap Forms 2.2.3 running on Mac OS X 10.9.2

Any ideas before i give up?

July 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM #10540

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Colin,

Hmm… Well, that’s not a particularly speedy Mac these days. The Core 2 Duo is quite a slow CPU compared to the i5 and i7 of today’s CPUs. I understand that Tap Forms is not running as fast as Bento did. That’s something I’m working to address actually.

It may also depend on which view you are using. If you’re using the Single-Column view, try switching to the multi-column view. If you’re using the multi-column view, try switching to the single-column view to see if that makes any difference for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 29, 2014 at 5:13 AM #10563

Colin Anderson
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Fingers crossed the speed issue is addressed.

I’m using single column view now as it’s semi useable as long as i don’t scroll up or down too quickly – but i miss the multi-column view to review information. My fix for that at the moment is to export to Excel.

As to speed of Mac. This data (plus more) began life on my 486 SX/25 PC over 20 years ago…. 25Mhz processing power!

Regards
    Colin.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.