Optimisation of Databases and Records

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Robert Marko
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I’ve noticed a huge memory hit for macOS TP5 (latest build) on some of the larger database forms I have. Whenever I scroll or sort records in the multi-column view (and other views) it slows down scrolling and/or ‘beachballs’ constantly.

Are there any tips for optimising databases/forms/records in general to keep our databases in tip-top shape?

P.S. I throw everything at my records; ie. multiple photos, PDF’s, Barcodes, Sections and sub sections, calculations.

Can it be notorious to heavily ‘overload’ a database uneccesarily or would it be wise to split databases and keep forms to a minimum?

Thank you!

August 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM #18748

Brendan
    Keymaster

Right now there’s a performance issue with generating thumbnails on the records list view. It’s something I’m working on improving. For now if you have a Photo field, switching to the Photo Grid view will perform much better. And I’m releasing an update which improves the performance of the single-column list view when you have photos. Still working on the multi-column list view.

August 17, 2016 at 10:25 PM #18777

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Robert, I’m curious what you mean by subsections. I wanted subsections, but since there seemed to be only one size of section heading, I used empty text fields for subsections and changed the font color to differentiate them from regular fields. I’d love to have an organic way to create subsections.

August 18, 2016 at 6:42 PM #18795

Robert Marko
    Participant

Hi Frances,

I classify subsections as datatypes I store underneath sections. I’m unaware of sections being anything more than cosmetic. From a taxonomy standpoint I wouldn’t understand why you’d need nested subsections. I think you can create seperate forms and link them to your records. This might be the more organic approach. However, I have never dabbled with relational aspects of Tap Forms.

I’m hoping Brendan can chime in and help as he’d have more knowledge on your requirements.

Regards,
    Rob.

August 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM #18803

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s a Section Heading field which is perhaps what you’re referring to. There’s also sections in the records list view to help you organize your records into logical groupings. But in either case, there’s only one level of sections. What you may be looking for is a hierarchical representation of your data? Relationships let you do that, but not all displayed in the same list. You have to navigate from one level to another by following the relationships.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.