Notefield empty

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

Josef Tingbratt
    Participant

I have encountered what I hope is a temporary bug.

I use TapForms for all my offers to my customers and have made a nice template to present it with. Since yesterday i noticed that the Notefield where i wrote all “soft values” about why they should buy my product is emptied on every field! I use time-machine and tried to go back to an older version where i know that it was visible. But it doesn’t appear there either.

What could be the problem? This is urgent since it affects all my affairs, I have no idea what I have promised my customers since this was my CRM-system. Can I really rely on this program to do the work?

Please reply asap if you have any idea what to do?

January 28, 2016 at 1:12 PM #15778

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Josef,

Does it show up on the Default Layout or is it just a custom layout where the data is missing?

And which version of Tap Forms are you using?

Thanks,

Brendan

January 28, 2016 at 10:53 PM #15781

Laurent
    Participant

Hello Brendan,

I have the same issue on one of my form not the others, using a note field.

In the affected form I use both the template and a custom layout. When I enter the text in the note field then close Tap Forms and open it again, the text in the note field disappears (both in the template and custom layouts). It does not happen every time. I need now to back up all my text in Apple Notes just in case…

Hope you will find the solution.

Mac Os 10.11.13
    Tap Forms 3.5.10

Kind regards,
    Laurent

February 3, 2016 at 12:07 AM #15859

Josef Tingbratt
    Participant

I have exactly the same version as Laurent, and the same problem.

I’m sorry, but this was to devastating to my business since I can’t be able to trust that my information is safe. Since I can’t find it by resetting the database via Time-Machine I’m stuck without all of my notes on every customer and order.

That is not acceptable, and I will now search for a new way to handle these documents…

February 6, 2016 at 8:03 PM #15884

Chris Brown
    Participant

I have the same issue.

What I do is click the red X and it then prompts me to save the changes.

February 7, 2016 at 1:27 AM #15886

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Laurent,

Can you please email me a copy of the form template that has this problem?

Chris and Josef, does this happen with every form or just a specific form? And Chris, does the Save function on the Note field editor always succeed? I’m trying to figure out if it’s an issue with a custom layout or with the Default Layout.

I’m unable to reproduce this problem so far unfortunately. But I’ll keep trying.

February 7, 2016 at 3:05 AM #15887

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, looks like I was finally able to reproduce it. At least for a custom layout. I found that if you changed some text, switched to a different form, then quit and did that a bunch of times, sometimes the content in the Note field would disappear. I’ve fixed this and I’m uploading a new version to my website now. It’ll take a while for it to be reviewed and approved by Apple once I submit it to them though. But you can get the update directly from my website if you want to try that version instead or if you don’t need iCloud for syncing. Click the Free Trial button on my home page and then download the 10 day Mac trial. You can get a free license for it if you have the paid original Mac App Store version already installed.

Sorry for this trouble. Hopefully this is the end of this issue.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 11, 2016 at 2:24 AM #15921

Brendan
    Keymaster

3.5.11 was released today on the Mac App Store. The direct download version was released already. Please let me know if this is still a problem.

February 15, 2016 at 11:46 PM #15970

Laurent
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I have been using 3.5.11 since its release on the Mac App Store and so far so good ! No more note field content deletion.

Thanks a lot for your update,
    Kind regards,
    Laurent

February 16, 2016 at 3:43 AM #15971

Brendan
    Keymaster

Excellent!

Thanks for testing it out.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 13, 2016 at 11:17 PM #20050

Laurent
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

This bug is back again ! Exactly the same issue as detailed on January 28th 2016 here above.

I am using version 5.0.7 on mac os 10.11.6.

Thanks a lot in advance for the solution,

Kind regards,
    Laurent

October 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM #20051

Laurent
    Participant

I have just tested with 5.0.8 same issue (changed some text, switched to a different form, then quit and did that a bunch of times, sometimes the content in the Note field would disappear)

Thanks

October 19, 2016 at 11:30 PM #20097

Laurent
    Participant

Hello Brendan,

Do you have some news about this bug?

Thank you for your feedback !

October 20, 2016 at 1:36 AM #20098

Brendan
    Keymaster

Are you working on a custom layout? Or is this happening when editing the note from the Default Layout? There is an issue that could cause an issue with Note field data not updating properly the version of the note on the multi-column list view if you switched views after editing the note field data.

October 20, 2016 at 5:04 AM #20099

Laurent
    Participant

Hi Brendan

This happens on custom layout in multi column view. Back in February you managed to solve the issue. Is there any work around ?

Thanks a lot.

October 20, 2016 at 2:22 PM #20102

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well I did just fix a bug related to editing a Note field on a custom layout when using the multi-column list view. The fix will be in the next update.

October 10, 2018 at 4:25 PM #30986

Alan Davidson
    Participant

Hi there Brenden

I’ve been experiencing random missing note fields on a custom form in list view using Version 5.3 (Build 1794). on MacBook Pro. I saw this old topic which seemed to correspond and wonder if you can help me. This is very frustrating!

Best wishes

October 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM #30989

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

That’s already an old version.

Can you please update to the latest build 1797?

Thanks,

Brendan

October 11, 2018 at 8:44 AM #30997

Alan Davidson
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Thanks for very speedy response.

I’ve updated now. Are you saying that this will solve the problem or do you have any other recommendations to avoid this happening in the future?

Thanks again

Alan

October 11, 2018 at 10:58 AM #31004

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

Well, I’m not sure if it will fix the problem you’re having, but when you use an older version I can’t be sure if the issue you are experiencing was already corrected in the latest version. I can’t go back and fix old versions, so it’s best that if you encounter a problem, first check for an update and then if you experience the problem again, let me know. Then I can try and reproduce it.

Hav you experienced the problem with the latest update?

Also this old topic was from a very very old version of Tap Forms. The data is stored in a completely different way now in Tap Forms 5 than it was in Tap Forms 3.x.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 14, 2018 at 12:06 PM #31034

Alan Davidson
    Participant

Hi Brenden

Thanks for reply. I understand issue about updates. I’m monitoring situation and will let you know if I have further problems.

I haven’t had time to test this out but I think issue may be to do with synching across MacBook and iPad. If a record is amended on one device and then further amendments are made on other device when this hasn’t yet synched, when synching takes place the most recent amendment is wiped by the synching when this does happen. I’ve noticed that I seem to need to quit and restart tapforms on iPad for synching to be instigated.

I’ll keep you informed.

Best wishes

Alan

October 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM #31035

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

Sync is initiated when you launch Tap Forms but also when you make a change to the database.

If you make a change on both devices to the same records or other types of objects before syncing, that will cause a conflict and Tap Forms will pick the version of the record that has the highest revision number. Unfortunately that’s not always the most recently updated record.

October 15, 2018 at 12:18 AM #31037

Alan Davidson
    Participant

Hi Brenden

Thanks. By highest revision number do you mean that 5.3.2 in MacOS will take precedence over 5.1.2 in IOS 9?

Best wishes

Alan

October 15, 2018 at 12:33 AM #31038

Brendan
    Keymaster

No. I mean which version of the record itself. Every change you make to a record is stored in a revision table in the SQLite database.

Also, I haven’t done any testing syncing between Tap Forms 5.3.2 and Tap Forms 5.1.2, so I don’t know if it will work right. And certainly not with iOS 9, which is very old.

October 16, 2018 at 1:27 AM #31053

Alan Davidson
    Participant

Hi Brenden

Thanks.

I’ve just managed to replicate the problem and it is not related to syncing (or my poor iPad 3 which won’t take any iOS beyond 9).

Entering new data and then quitting Tapforms (5.3.2 on MacBook Pro) results in data being lost. I have tried this repeatedly and although it doesn’t happen every time, it is the vast majority of times this happens.

Yesterday (and this is how I discovered the problem) I updated on MacBook, quitted, opened tapforms on iPad and the new data had been synced. I went back and opened taprooms on Macbook and the information was lost. Back to iPad and it was lost there too this time.

All the subsequent experiments were with MacBook only and with iPad switched off.

I hope this helps clarify the problem. Let me know if you need further information.

Best Wishes

Alan

October 16, 2018 at 10:23 AM #31057

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Allan,

Ok, I’m going to need some more details.

Can you provide a step-by-step way that I can reproduce the problem with the data in Note fields being lost? Which view were you entering the note field data into? Did you save the Note field before quitting Tap Forms or did you just quit before saving?

Thanks,

Brendan

October 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM #31061

Alan Davidson
    Participant

Hi Brenden

I’m attaching a screenshot of the view from which data was entered. And, by the way, it is not just the Note field which is affected, as it happens in other fields too. When it is the Note field I have always saved before quitting.

Best wishes

Alan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 16, 2018 at 4:09 AM #31807

Alan Davidson
    Participant

Hi Brendan

It’s now a month since I sent you the details as requested but haven’t heard back about this serious bug. I recently updated but noticed that this wasn’t listed amongst update issues. I tested the problem and it’s still there. It seems that it’s the last entered item in notes which is always lost.

What’s happening?

Best wishes

Alan

November 16, 2018 at 6:45 PM #31815

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

I’m very sorry that I missed seeing your response. Do you think you could make a screen recording (you can use QuickTime Player for that). Then email that to me at support@tapforms.com and I’ll try to repeat the same steps you did? I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue even with the latest version. When I type in a field and tab out of the field, it saves the value. Even if I don’t tab out of the field and then quit the app or switch to a different form, Tap Forms is saving the value.

Maybe there’s an issue with your database. You could also email me a backup of that and I’ll try to see if I can follow your instructions to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 28 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.