Not reopening the correct files on launch

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Not reopening the correct files on launch

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Bob Williams
    Participant

When I launch TF, it always reopens the same document, but I can’t figure out why. I’d expect it to reopen whatever documents I had opened when I quit the app (per my macOS settings), but that’s not what’s happening – it’s always the same doc. I’ve tried a variety of pre-quit things to get it to do the right thing, but no matter the state of open documents when I quit, TF always opens a specific doc after launch.

All the docs are stored in the same place in iCloud, so it’s not that the correct docs are inaccessible to TF.

Is there a way to get TF to fall in line here?

July 29, 2022 at 11:47 PM #47679

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

I don’t recommend storing the documents in iCloud Drive if that’s what you mean by iCloud. You can cause database file corruption if you work on documents stored on any network or cloud file system.

Tap Forms uses the document ID to determine what documents to re-open when you launch. So you probably have a document on the main Database Documents list with the same internal Document ID as another document on your device. You can find out what that ID is by either displaying the Document Info panel on the main Database Documents window, or go to the Sync Settings screen and look at the “db-….” value there. If it’s the same as another document on your device, Tap Forms will just load the first one that’s listed on the main Database Documents window.

You should keep all your documents there and make sure you don’t have any with the same Document ID. In a future version of Tap Forms you’ll be able to change the default location where Tap Forms displays the documents from.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 30, 2022 at 4:14 PM #47682

Bob Williams
    Participant

Nailed it! It seems I have three docs all with the same ID. Though oddly, the one TF is loading is not the first in the Database Documents list but the third and last.

Anyway, I assume this happened because I used one doc as the starting point for the others by duplicating it in the file system. Is there a way to change the document ID, or do I have to do a new doc/export/import?

Also, correction on the storage location. It’s indeed in the local file system, in the default location, in fact. I think I had in my brain that it was in iCloud because I enabled iCloud sync.

Thanks.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.