Newbie with a few questions

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Stan TAYLOR
    Participant

Hi.

Today I downloaded the Trial Version of Tap Forms and enjoyed the experience, so later downloaded Tap Forms 5.0.9 (Build 805) from the App Store and the partnership App for iPhone/iPad.

My kit comprises Mac Pro early 2008 running El Capitan Version 10.11.6 maxed out RAM and all SSD Storage, plus iPhone and iPad running iOS Version 10.11.
    This Mac Pro is not able to upgrade to Mac OSX Sierra, although at present everything except the item mentioned below functions as expected.

Since the last iOS Update, tired old Bento has been reduced to trash on the iPhone/iPad whilst just scraping by on the Mac Pro.

Fortunately Tap Forms has been able to efficiently create a very acceptable version of my most important Database, however the latter needs to be frequently accessed on either of my portable Devices.

Having read and viewed a great deal of information about Tap Forms, Syncing, iTunes File Sharing, Creating and ……….. I have not been able to transfer [possibly not the correct term?] the needed Database onto the iPad.

Given that for some time I will NOT be able to run the ‘latest’ OS Software Versions on all my kit, is there any way to achieve my objective?

Thanks for your time, best wishes,S

November 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM #20340

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stan,

What didn’t work with iTunes File Sharing to get your document copied to your iPad?

The built-in Send Document function won’t work between an old OS and a new OS version unfortunately.

November 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM #20342

Ron
    Participant

I have successfully sent several documents from Laptop OS 10.11.6 to my iPad iOS 9.3.5.

November 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM #20344

Stan TAYLOR
    Participant

Hi Brendan thanks for your very prompt response.
    Regarding iTunes File Sharing:
    Within the list of File Options I was unable to find anything appropriate, certainly everything remained greyed out from the File List that I was attempting to send.
    Searching for “iTunes File Sharing” offered a link to an Official Apple Help Page on the subject. This indicated the need to have the latest OS version.

The above, with variations, have been tried over and over and over……
    I really need to find a solution so will give it my best effort, although being under pressure at my age information overload kicks in attempting to properly understand how to use old Software in new ways a couple of new Software items plus IBM Cloudant.
    As the latter will not help until the needed File is on my Mobile Devices it has been set aside for now.

Hi Ron thanks for your input.
    Glad to hear that you have had success.
    However my attempts were with:
    El Capitan Version 10.11.6
    and
    iOS Version 10.11.
    This latest upgrade seems to have rendered Bento almost useless on the Mobile Devices.

November 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM #20345

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stan,

You have to plug your device into your computer, then click on the Apps button on the left. Then scroll down on the right side to find the File Sharing area.

It looks like the attached image.

Sometimes people can’t see that area because they’re not scrolling that window all the way down. They scroll through the list of apps, but then don’t see that. You have to put your mouse cursor in the blank area between the options on the left and the list of apps on the right. Then scroll the mouse.

You should find Tap Forms down near the bottom.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 13, 2016 at 5:58 PM #20374

Stan TAYLOR
    Participant

Thank you for the very prompt response Brendan.

I confess to not being an iTunes Fan. It is a very, very long time since visiting any Device > Apps Page and much longer since the ‘File Sharing’ zone has been visited.
    My journey ‘down the page’ almost ended when the Scroll Bar ‘Handle’ disappeared just after passing the TF App, and after a couple of pages further the end of the alphabet ‘seemed’ to be the end of the road.
    The solution for me is to dispense with the sloppily implemented ‘Show Scroll Bars Automatically via System Preferences > General > Show Scroll Bars > then select ‘Aways’.
    There is nil need to scroll ‘through’ the Apps Section, rather scroll the entire Page by using the Scroll Bar at the extreme right hand edge of the Page.

Your information enabled me to immediately send copies of the File to my Devices.
    With that task completed it was possible to test the various methods of Syncing that are available.
    Initially the clear front runner was IBM Cloudant, after Logging On all updates occurred in seconds. I will post separately about Syncing experiences.

Not satisfied with simply getting my Database up and running on TF5 I was keen to improve and expand it making use of the facilities available.
    In short a whole lot of fun has been enjoyed with the added plus of help with climbing up the learning curve.

I love using TF5 and will be working through the remainder of my Databases so that Bento can truly RIP.

Again many thanks for your efforts and attention.

November 13, 2016 at 10:13 PM #20375

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stan,

Ya, I think that scrollview on the iTunes Apps screen is terrible. It’s the weirdest implementation I have ever seen for something like that. They could do so much better.

I find that putting my cursor on the left side between the left side selections and the list of apps and then scroll that will work. I use a MacBook Pro with a trackpad, so you just have to put your cursor in that spot and scroll. I don’t have to drag any scrollbar handles up or down. Eventually you manage to get down far enough to see Tap Forms. But then I find often that because Tap Forms is far down on the list, the Tap Forms Documents area doesn’t show fully on the right, so you have to scroll the whole page up more to see the top of that list.

I’m glad you got it working.

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.