newbie at work

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

yellowalien
    Participant

So I started “getting my feet wet” with Tap Forms and messed with some predefined forms (read: messed things up real good), as well as managed to delete the Imports and Exports folders (which I thought were not supposed to be deletable) from within iTunes. How do I restore the Imports and Exports folders, and how do I get my factory default forms back?

February 16, 2011 at 7:26 PM #4430

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

Hmm… Ok, well, for the future, there’s a “Duplicate Form” option which would let you play around with a form and not worry about messing up the original. You could always just re-add the fields or change the fields that you messed around with back to what they were before. Or, you could uninstall and re-install the whole app to reset back to factory defaults.

So did you delete the Share folder then from within iTunes? If so, I’m not sure what would happen if you did that. I know that if you try to export and the Exports folder isn’t there then I automatically re-create it. But I don’t remember if that also includes the Share folder. Could you try that and see what happens? Just try to export a set of records.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM #4432

yellowalien
    Participant

Export fails with:

Export Failed

(null) (null)

[OK]

February 16, 2011 at 7:46 PM #4433

Brendan
    Keymaster

You probably have some special characters in your data. Can you try changing the Export File Encoding in the Import & Export Settings area to use a different encoding?

Thanks,

Brendan

February 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM #4435

yellowalien
    Participant

It doesn’t matter which record I tried to export – even empty one- the export fails with the same error message. I do not think I have special characters in each and everyone of my records. I also get the same error message with your sample records, so I think this may have to do with the absent Shared folder.

February 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM #4437

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Hmm… Well, one way to deal with that would be to turn on the FTP server and using an FTP program such as Cyberduck to re-create the Share folder.

I’ll add some code in the app to re-create the share folder if it doesn’t exist at application startup.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM #4438

Brendan
    Keymaster

Actually, can you try quitting out of Tap Forms completely (using the iPhone’s multi-tasking dock to kill it completely). Then re-launch it. It should auto-create the Share directory then. The code I said I was going to add is already there. But it only runs when the application is launched, not when it’s brought back from the background.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM #4439

yellowalien
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll try the webserver thingie. I’m not on a WiFi network right now, (only wireless data) so I will have to wait until tonight to try this.

Your software appears to be very feature rich and extensible. I like what I’ve seen so far! I just need to work it out for me. You quick support through the forum is great also!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.