New user concerns with sync issues

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Jeff Timp
    Participant

Hello, 

We just purchased TapForms (version 5.3.37) for both Mac and iOS after learning about its ability to import our old bento database and on the ability to see our database on both our iOS and MacBook Pro, but we are running into issues here that have us very concerned. After successfully importing our bento database and setting up the MacBook & iPhone to sync (nearby sync), my brother was editing the layout on the MacBook (OS 14.2.1) and when opened the app on my phone, and the changes he made were reverted back! e.g. he changed some fields to be web sites instead of text, but an important (and scary one) was he removed an entry on the laptop that was blank probably 5min before I opened the app on my phone, but as soon as I opened my phone app and checked the sync status (which turned green) the deleted entry was put BACK into the document on the laptop!! 

Our plan is to use this software to keep track of our inventory (about 4,000 items with tiny jpeg images – database size is roughly 250 MB), and this has us very worried that changes we make to inventory numbers, locations, etc could revert or change to previous states without us knowing! 

Any advice on how to make this work? Is there a way to make the MacBook be the “master” file so any changes it makes are priority? Or even better, is there a way to make the laptop the only one that can make changes? I don’t understand why the file changed back to a previous state once the iOS version was opened and would appreciate any help you can provide. 

Thanks so much,

Jeff

February 11, 2024 at 2:23 PM #50474

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff,

It’s hard to say what caused the record to re-appear, unless that record was modified on the iPhone before it was able to be synced with the Mac. It would have then appeared to be a new record which was then added back to the Mac.

You can setup a one-way sync between the devices with Nearby Sync. You do this by adding the Mac to the iPhone, but don’t add the iPhone to the Mac. That way changes on the iPhone won’t be picked up by the Mac. But changes made on the Mac will only go to the iPhone.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 17, 2024 at 11:06 AM #50504

Jeff Timp
    Participant

Hello Brandan,

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately the same sync issue happened again where I changed data on the MacBook, but when the phone synced with the MacBook the fields that were changed on the MacBook reverted back to the previous state on multiple different enteries. So I am for sure experiencing a sync issue between the iOS and Mac versions where states are being reverted when the phone connects, so we are going to use your suggestion of having the phone no longer sync with the Macbook. I do hope this is something that can be resolved in the future.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Jeff Timp.
Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.