New update 5.1.2 Build 1652 caused font substitution

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms New update 5.1.2 Build 1652 caused font substitution

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendan or Mike,
    Several days ago, I was sent a notice saying there was an update so I installed it. I believe it was Tap Forms 5.1.2 Build 1652.
    I opened my Single View Mode custom form (that I had spent hours perfecting) but the font I used, Helvetica Medium Condensed, got substituted by Helvetica Regular. Quite honestly, this is a disaster because Helvetica Regular is fat and also has a different height. All the text in my text fields are in the wrong place, lower down than they should be. And the fat width causes some text to disappear, making the form unusable.
    Is there a global way to set for all forms or even a single form (but all layouts) with a default typeface, e.g., Helvetica Condensed Medium (of varying point sizes)?
    This will take me hours to fix manually.
    I wonder what went wrong. Not sure if I can go back to former backup and it will all look right again.
    Still love it, however. I’m so chuffed by the amazing labels printing ability. That is saving me so much time! Light years ahead of Bento.
    Please se attached why I can only use Helvetica Condensed Medium and please see the new update version which has replaced that font with Helvetica Regular.

P.S. Also, strangely, I just noticed that when you print or create a PDF wth the new version that the top of the single view layout disappears and the whole thing is too high. How do I fix that—because in Sungle View Mode it looks correct (but not when it’s printed.)

Cheers,
    Bob

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    May 6, 2017 at 1:09 PM #22961

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendon or Mike,

Furthermore, with this new update, I now notice the ability to change font and align fields is no longer working, compounding the problem because I can no longer fix Single Column View layouts manually. I am stuck with the Helvetica Regular. This days’ work has evaporated and I must get it done.
    Hope there’s your regular fast help!
    Many thanks,
    Bob

May 6, 2017 at 2:28 PM #22963

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s odd. I’m not sure what prevented the changing of the fonts or alignment controls to stop working. I don’t believe I change anything there.

But the switch to Helvetica Regular wasn’t supposed to be an actual switch. I added code that checked to see if any font was specified at all when a layout item was loaded in from the database. If there was no font specified, then Tap Forms would set Helvetica as a reasonable default. I had another customer who had a bug where they couldn’t enter any data into their fields because no font was specified for any of their fields. This corrected that problem.

I’ll work on a fix for the text inspector toolbar not working.

Thanks for reporting the bug.

May 8, 2017 at 4:44 AM #22992

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendan, Thanks for jumping on to this. I’m using Mac’s internal Font Book. I see that Helvetica Regular is True Type. The font I use and specified for the fields is Helvetica Medium Condensed, a Postscript Type 1 font. Not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe a TrueType font would work better. (Although, Helvetica Med Condensed was working prior to the update.)

Yes, fixing the inspector’s ability would be great.

One little thing for the future regarding the type inspector bar that has the align icons… Gosh, if we could have the icons with ability to distribute spacing between fields vertically and horizontally, that would be a godsend. It would save so much time getting fields positions perfectly.

Carry on the great work and support, you geniuses!

Bob

May 8, 2017 at 7:02 AM #22994

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendon,
    I now also see something more debilitating. With this new update, when I insert a text field, it displays, oddly, “$0.00”. That odd entry becomes visible when I add it to a layout. I can’t change it to insert any text in date entry mode. It doesn’t let me enter anything.

Is there I way I could revert to the Tap Forms prior version I was using just a few days ago? I really need to get rid of that update until it’s fixed.

Cheers

Bob

May 8, 2017 at 8:52 AM #22997

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

Tap Forms 5.1.3 was released last night which gives you back the ability to change fonts again. Sorry for that bug.

I’m unaware of this $0.00 issue. I just did a test by creating a new Text field and dragging it into my custom layout. I’m not seeing this $0.00 being displayed in it.

Is that was you’re saying you did? Create a new Text field and then drag it into your custom layout and somehow it has $0.00 as a value?

Can you please email me a copy of your form template so I can investigate that?

May 8, 2017 at 9:37 AM #23000

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendon,

Yes, that’s what I mean about the $0.00. I created a new text field and placed it in a layout and it shows up with $0.00 in black type (and even if it’s checked as empty to be shown with placeholder.) Then also, I can’t enter text in to overwrite it.

May be I should close, reopen and refresh, etc. That often helps.

How do I send the layout? Here’s a screen shot. I can’t send my whole database because it’s too big.

Thanks for the new update. I’ll install and see if the text inspector is working.

Bob

Attachments:
    May 8, 2017 at 10:23 AM #23003

Brendan
    Keymaster

File > Export > Form Template…

Email the .tff file to me.

May 8, 2017 at 2:07 PM #23004

Jim Burgess
    Participant

Brendan,
    FYI I also noted a field’s font change with Build 1653. The field where this occurred was a text calculation IFEMPTY([DatePaid],””,”PAID”). The previous font in the field on custom layouts was “Academy Engraved LET”. If I change the Helvetica back to Academy Engraved LET and close/reopen the document, the font is again replaced with Helvetica. All the other fields on the layout are already Helvetica so I don’t see any change with those.

May 8, 2017 at 7:14 PM #23008

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh weird. Ya, you’re right.

Ok, I’m on it.

May 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM #23009

Brendan
    Keymaster

One simple spelling mistake. Ugh.

May 8, 2017 at 8:20 PM #23013

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendon,
    The new update was working and looked great with the Helvetica Condensed Medium font I need to use—-until I saved a backup! And then all the text in the fields reverted back to Helvetica Regular (True Type). The Text inspector, however, is working. The sudden switch back to Helvetica Regular when I made a backup, I can’t fathom why.
    Yes, I can go back again and change everything to Helvetica Condensed Medium PostScript Type 1 font—-a big waste of time–but now I’m scared it will do the same again.

I’ve attached a form template showing how Helvetica Regular messes up my form—-how I now have to raise each field a couple points to match the underlying form and how the fat Helvetica is too long for some dollar amounts to display.

Funny thing is: Other layouts use Note fields and the Helv Cond Med is not affected at all, any time.

Question: If a future update causes problems, how does one go back to a previous version?

Is there a way to tell Tap Forms I want a default font different from Helvetica Regular.

Are True Type fonts more reliable and stable than PostScript Type 1 fonts? (There could be something weird about my Helvetica Condensed Medium. Perhaps I should try another condensed font and see what happens.)

Regarding the previous $0.00 Text Field quirk, it doesn’t happen any longer with the new update. Not sure what the problem was but I got it to repeat the funny behavior several times under the 5.1.2. Now, creating a new text field is fine.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments:
    May 8, 2017 at 8:25 PM #23015

Brendan
    Keymaster

The font reversion was a spelling mistake on my part.

I’ve fixed it for the next build.

Email me if you would like access to the beta that contains that fix. The only thing different from the beta and production is that fix, Turkish translations, and the ability to search Time fields with the advanced search function.

May 9, 2017 at 4:53 AM #23021

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendon,

Oh! Amazing that you found it! Thanks for your Yes, I’d like (need!) a Beta right away.

Just wondering… … what’s the way to be able to revert to a former build? Or keep a former build without overwriting so I can return to it?

Thanks a million,

Bob

May 9, 2017 at 10:41 AM #23037

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

Send me an email to support@tapform.com and I’ll set you up. I generally keep a few beta builds available so you can revert if you need to.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.