New iCloud Sharing Means Multi-User a Possibility?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms New iCloud Sharing Means Multi-User a Possibility?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

grooveagent
    Participant

The new developer beta now includes sharing iCloud Drive folders. Could multi-user functionality be possible?

For example, I use Tap Forms for budgeting the household. It would be great to be able to have my wife add records and view the totals.

Keep up the great work.

February 5, 2020 at 11:47 PM #39498

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

You can already do multi-user functionality via CouchDB and Cloudant sync options, just need to set up each Tap Forms instance with access to the same server and it’ll work properly. If you have both devices on the same network at the same time with Tap Forms open, you can also use the Nearby sync with multiple devices as well. If you have a desktop Mac sitting around, you can install Tap Forms on it and leave it running full time as a server and then set up Nearby sync with that Mac.

February 6, 2020 at 12:34 AM #39503

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap Forms does not use iCloud Drive for syncing. It uses Apple’s CloudKit infrastructure.

If they ever allowed sharing of CKRecordZones in CloudKit, then it would probably work. But Apple doesn’t allow sharing of those. In Tap Forms parlance, a CKRecordZone corresponds with a Tap Forms database document.

I also don’t recommend you storing a .tapforms document on iCloud Drive. You could use it for temporary transfers of the document, but not for actively working on the database. SQLite doesn’t play nicely with network volumes, including cloud storage services such as iCloud Drive or Dropbox, etc.

February 8, 2020 at 5:36 PM #39531

grooveagent
    Participant

Ok thanks for the info. I might look into doing the Cloudant sync when I have time to experiment.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.