New Computer, sync issues…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Rick Cooper
    Participant

I have a 2012 iMac and an iPhone 8, and have no problems syncing between them. I just bought a new iMac. I made a backup on the old iMac, then restored on the new iMac so everything is the same on both iMacs. I set up the new iMac to sync on all 3 devices (and the long value code is the same on all 3). If I add a record to the iPhone, it will sync with whichever iMac has the app open–but not when both are open. If I add a record to one of the iMacs, the other iMac won’t sync. All 3 devices see each other, and again each iMac will sync with the iPhone with no problem as long as the app isn’t open on the other iMac. When I add a record to the old iMac with the app also open on the new iMac, I get “sync fetching” forever and nothing happens. I quit the app on both iMacs, then open the app on the old iMac, and it syncs to the iPhone. I have no idea what is going on or how to fix. Suggestions?

December 15, 2019 at 1:11 AM #38724

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Rick,

It might be because Tap Forms thinks they are the same computer.

Can you please quit Tap Forms, then launch the Keychain Access application on one of the Macs and search for a key called TFAppUUID

Then delete that entry from your Keychain.

Now re-launch Tap Forms and open your document and see if syncing works now.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 15, 2019 at 6:02 AM #38739

Rick Cooper
    Participant

Brendan,

I found and deleted that Keychain item on the new iMac, started the sync process again, same result. I won’t be able to work on it again until tonight, but I’ll delete the app on the new iMac and start anew, to see if that makes any difference.

I did notice that the Keychain item does return on the new iMac after I delete and reopen Tap Forms as I sync my Keychain in iCloud. Could that be an issue?

Thanks,

Rick

December 15, 2019 at 4:29 PM #38747

Rick Cooper
    Participant

Brendan,

UPDATE: Problem solved, or at least identified. I hope you didn’t spend too much time trying to figure out if it was a Tap Forms issue. I kept trying multiple things, always with the same result. I finally decided to perhaps abandon TF on my old iMac and just sync my new iMac with my iPhone. I then went on to file sharing to move files between my old and new iMac…but they wouldn’t connect. I tried a bunch of different things, nothing worked. I then consulted with my nephew who worked as an Apple Genius for years. He walked me through a bunch of settings, but still the iMacs could not see each other. He then tried to duplicate the issue on his end (he has multiple Macs with different OS versions), but it worked for him. Finally, I thought of trying a different router/network. I recently purchased an eero, but I kept my old Airport Base Station. I plugged in the ABS, changed settings for file sharing, and it worked. I then tried a Tap Forms sync, and the iMacs synced perfectly. The problem is not Tap Forms or either iMac, it has something to do with the eero router. I’ll be calling their support tomorrow to see if there is a port blocked or some setting that is preventing file sharing/connecting the iMacs. So, sorry for your time, it was not a Tap Forms issue after all, but I wanted to explain all of this so you might reference it in the future if someone has a similar problem and also has a new eero router. Thanks again!

December 15, 2019 at 8:20 PM #38750

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I have an eero network and some AEBS’, I generally avoid the eero because it doesn’t see half of the devices on my network properly but the AEBS network has no issues. I burned a little less time because I had the side by side where I was able to quickly isolate eero does weird things and went back to AEBS full time. I was hoping to use the eero to replace the AEBS network since Apple is getting out of the wifi router business but in this case not so good.

December 15, 2019 at 9:57 PM #38757

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m glad you figured out the problem and it wasn’t Tap Forms. That’s always a relief for me :)

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.