Nesting Folders?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Frank Hermann
    Participant

Hi, I’m using the trial version of Tap Forms to see if it meets my needs. I’m hoping that I can use it, at least in part, as an alternative to Evernote. One of the main features I’m looking for is the ability to arrange my files/notes hierarchically: one folder nested inside of another, which in turn is inside of another. For example, I want to inventory my major purchases at home and in the office. Instead of having two categories (Home Inventory, Work Inventory), I’d like to have one category (Inventory) containing two folders: Home & Work. Then inside the Home folder, I would like the following folders: Tools, Electronics, Yard & Garden, Kitchen, Den & Living Room, Bedrooms, Bathrooms. Is something like that possible with Tap Forms? I noticed on the demo picture that there are two purple folders under the category Movies, each folder with different genres. However, the instructions and the tutorial videos nowhere explain how to do that. Thanks.

May 8, 2014 at 1:22 AM #10070

divinenanny
    Participant

The purple folders are saved smart searches (like smart albums in iPhoto or smart playlists in iTunes). I’d do what you want in the following manner.

Make a category “Inventory”.
    Make two forms, “Home Inventory” and “Work Inventory”.
    In the “Home Inventory” form, make a field “Category”, with a pick list containing your inventory categories. Then make smart searches that search on that field: “all records containing “Tools” for the field “Category”.

You can’t go any deeper than that though, a smart search that searches for all “Tools” in the location “Garage” for example will be saved on the same level as all other smart searches.

Does that help?

PS, none of these organisational sections are actually folders, and only the first one supports moving easily (I think).

May 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM #10087

Frank Hermann
    Participant

Yes, that helps. Thank you.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.