Need help, Calculations within forms for new layout

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Need help, Calculations within forms for new layout

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Michael Dandeo
    Participant

I use Tap Forms to keep inventory of my vintage trading cards. I’m looking to create a new layout that will show total # cards I have within a set and # of cards missing. My second question is how (if possible) to do this same math from other records (within the same category) so I can have a common layout for each set of records within a category that I can view from any record I’m currently in.

A little data that may help if someone may have an answer:
    Trading cards are like baseball cards, individually numbered, but I may have more then 1 record for one particular card because of quantity owned. If I do not own a particular card I will have a record for it but the row will be highlighted as red with many fields left empty.

To be honest, I really don’t understand how tap forms calculations work. It’s like excel but completely different syntax it seams. What I’m basically looking to do is a sum of total records excluding specific records. Of course after I get this far I’ll have a ton of question about changing those numbers to also show percentages and also calculation with include conditions such as color. For another day!

February 7, 2018 at 3:33 PM #27307

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

There’s two types of calculations in Tap Forms.

1. Aggregate calculations that give you the total, minimum, maximum, or average of a field in a set of records. Those are displayed at the bottom of the list of records.

2. The Calculation field with its customizable formulas.

3. The syntax for the Calculation field’s formula is described in the formula editor screen.

There’s instructions in the online manual about how to use the Calculation field here:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5/en/topic/calculations

For your specific question about number of cards in a set and number of missing, it really all depends on what kind of data you have to represent that information. It could get a bit complicated since you say you have multiple records for the same card. If you could condense that to a single record per card, that may be better. So instead of having multiple records per card, you just have a field that specifies the quantity you have of that card. Then you could display the total for that quantity field.

If you have any further questions about it, I’d be happy to answer them.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.