Nearby Sync Stopped Working

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

Hi,

Nearby sync seemed to have stopped working between my iPhone and macbook pro.

Changes on the Mac does not sync to iPhone and vice versa.

In the “Syncing with these devices” on iPhone, I have added in my Macbook Pro to the list. Likewise for the Macbook Pro, I have added in the iPhone to the list.

On both devices, the status showed green meaning they are able to detect each other on the network. But changes does not seemed to sync at all.

How do I troubleshoot this?

I have other databases and sync seems to work fine. Just this database having this problem.

The size of the database is about 4.3GB. Any issues with this? Is there a limit on the size of the database?

Thank you,
    Aik Pin

March 6, 2017 at 7:18 PM #21388

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well that could definitely have something to do with it. That’s a huge database to be syncing.

However, I would suggest removing each device and re-adding them again. That’ll reset the sync back to the start. Hopefully that’ll make things sync again.

March 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM #21398

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

I have remove and add back on both macbook and iPhone. On the Macbook, I can see the “Sync receiving” status. What about the iPhone? How do I see whether syncing is in progress?

Also, I keep getting the sync time out error. Sometimes when I clicked “OK”, the “Sync receiving” appeared again but sometimes, it doesn’t appear anymore. Does it mean it has stopped syncing? How do I initiate the syncing again?

Also, if I changed a same record on both mac and iPhone, during syncing, will it merge? Or does it overwrite one another? I have a few occasion whereby I added in some pictures on one device, after syncing, it all disappeared.

Thank you.

March 7, 2017 at 11:02 PM #21399

Brendan
    Keymaster

On the iOS version the network activity indicator in the status bar spins. So that’s how you know it’s syncing. In Tap Forms 5.1 which I’m working on I’m displaying the sync receiving messages on the Tools screen, so you’ll have a better idea of the activity going on.

March 7, 2017 at 11:03 PM #21400

Brendan
    Keymaster

The timeout error could be that the iOS device goes to sleep or there is just some communication error occurring between them and it loses their connection, thus causing a timeout when the Mac can’t connect to the iOS device to retrieve the data.

March 8, 2017 at 4:00 AM #21401

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

It’s still not syncing. I am not sure why.

I now switch the Macbook syn to Cloundant to see if it works better.

Now I get this error :

Error sending to Cloudant server.: the request entity is too large

Any idea?

Thanks

March 8, 2017 at 12:55 PM #21402

Brendan
    Keymaster

That error means you have some files that are too big for Cloudant to handle. Perhaps a really big image or some File Attachment field that has files that are too big for Cloudant to handle. What are the typical file sizes you’re working with in your File Attachment fields?

March 8, 2017 at 4:47 PM #21403

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

Photos typical few MB. But sometimes I added a few.

I suspect maybe it’s some of the photos I uploaded. Any way to check which are the files causing the issue? Thanks!

March 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM #21404

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, not directly in Tap Forms, but if in the Finder you right-click on your .tapforms document you can use the “Show Package Contents” function and then navigate in to the “attachments” folder (within the “db-….” folder). From there you can sort by size and if you’ve got some big files (in the 10s of MB or larger) then that may be causing the problem.

March 9, 2017 at 1:35 PM #21405

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

I think that could be the problem. There is a “Resize all photos” function under the photo field. I can use that to reduce the size for all the photos in that field right? Once it’s resize, will it replicate the changes to the iphone? Hopefully this can reduce the overall database size too.

Thanks.

March 9, 2017 at 4:54 PM #21407

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, you can use that function to resize all the photos for that specific field. It will replace the files.

You can also use the Compact Database function to see if the database file will get any smaller after that. It also removes unused attachments.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.