Nearby sync screwed up with iOS16

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Leo
    Participant

We use 2 iPhones for nearby sync with MacBook.After updated the two iPhones to iOS16 I have noticed that the name of both devices in the TFmac syncscreen is iPhone, no matter what name the iPhones have in the phones themseves. And there can only be one device with the same name in the sync setting. So synchronizing between the setup i.e. MacBook and 2 phones is not possible.

Changes made on the Mac wil sunc to both but changes made on iPhone only sync to the MacBook and will not sunc to the other phone.

Syncing via iCloud is no option because of the two different apple accounts.(and I don’t know if that wil work)

Leo

September 26, 2022 at 1:12 AM #48004

Brendan
    Keymaster

So it turns out that apps now need a special entitlement to allow them to access the device’s name in iOS 16. This is a new thing I did not know about until just today.

I’ve submitted a request to Apple to be able to use this entitlement. Once I get approved, I’ll probably have to submit a new build for that.

September 27, 2022 at 11:48 AM #48023

Maura Ciccarelli
    Participant

Thanks for your post about this, Brendan! I came here to find out why I was getting a nearby syncing error and see that you’re already on it. Thanks for your hard work on this!

September 27, 2022 at 12:03 PM #48027

Brendan
    Keymaster

What error did you get? I’m still waiting on Apple about this issue.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.