Naming fields when using Calculated fields

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Naming fields when using Calculated fields

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Robert West
    Participant

Here’s something I noticed today, and couldn’t figure out for about an hour until it dawned on me…

I had a field called “Round-trip” and a field titled “Average Speed (kts)” (I’ve built a sailing log…)

I also have fields called “Start Date and Time” and “End Date and Time” and went to build a fairly standard End-Start calculation. BUT – as soon as I typed “-“, something in the auto-complete routine would always match the “Round-trip” field and insert it into the calculation formula box. Similarly, if I wanted to do a formula with parentheses, as soon as I typed “(” it would match my Average Speed (kts) field.

What I learned:
    – The autocomplete mechanism, which only works on and off for me on my Mac, is really aggressive about matching ANY character in field names.
    – Do not name your fields with anything used in algebraic expressions!

What I suggest:
    – Tune the autocomplete in the formula box to search either the beginnings of field names, or just the alphabetic characters. Optionally, disallow standard mathematical operators from field naming.

Looking forward to seeing what Tap 2.0 looks like. I’ve only had the product for a few days, and I already don’t miss Bento at all. Hell, I didn’t miss Bento when it was active. Felt like a toy.

November 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM #7609

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll look into the auto-complete issue. On iOS I have control over it, but not sure if I do on Mac. At least on iOS you can turn it on or off on a per field basis.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.