My iOS devices only allow sync by iCloud

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

James
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

As ever, thanks for your great work on this great app!

I have a problem – just noticed today – with my iOS devices (all running v12.3.1).

I sync using Cloudant, and after updating to the latest version of Tap Forms iOS (v5.3.5) I noticed the Cloudant sync is disabled.

In the Sync menu of Tap Forms, the categories at the top (iCloud, Nearby, Cloudant) are greyed out, and only iCloud is selected.

Instead I get a yellow warning triangle ! message saying “No iCloud account logged in on this device” – and the database stopped syncing.

(Tap Forms for Mac is syncing fine with Cloudant.)

Thanks for your help,
    James

July 11, 2019 at 5:39 PM #35883

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi James,

Well that’s odd. It seems that Tap Forms is thinking that you’re logged in to iCloud when you should be logged in to Cloudant.

Do you have iCloud Drive enabled on your iOS device? If not, try enabling it, then tap the Disable iCloud Sync button in Tap Forms and go back to using Cloudant.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 11, 2019 at 10:59 PM #35886

James
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, no joy!

iCloud Drive is enabled, and I have disabled iCloud access in Settings.

But the Tap Forms sync page doesn’t actually let me disable iCloud Sync anymore. It did in the last version: there was a button for it in the iCloud menu. But now it just says ‘Open Settings’ (I’ve attached a screenshot.)

Mysterious. :/

Cheers,
    James

July 11, 2019 at 11:05 PM #35887

James
    Participant

Sorry – my screenshot didn’t upload properly. Have emailed it instead. :)

July 11, 2019 at 11:49 PM #35888

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, one thing you could try is make a backup of your documents and copy them to your computer using iTunes File Sharing or upload them to Dropbox or some other cloud storage service.

Then delete Tap Forms and re-install it. Then restore the backups.

If iCloud is enabled and iCloud Drive is enabled, you shouldn’t be seeing that error message.

July 12, 2019 at 6:08 AM #35896

James
    Participant

Ah, sorry, I think I misunderstood your first message!

In Settings > iCloud I just switched Tap Forms from Off to On. (The iCloud Drive was enabled, but not Tap Forms in iCloud settings.)

And, like you said, it gave me the option to Disable iCloud. Which I did. And that gave me the option to sync with Cloudant, which is now working again.

So… yay! :o)

I guess I switched Settings > iCloud > Tap Forms off a while ago, thinking that because I wasn’t syncing with iCloud there was no reason why it would need access.

But it seems like you need that iCloud setting to be on to be able to sync through Cloudant.

Thanks for your help as ever! Still love the app…

Cheers,
    James

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.