My Cloudant account has just stopped syncing

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms My Cloudant account has just stopped syncing

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

James
    Participant

Every time I open Tap Forms I get an error message: “Snychronization has failed – Error sending to server.: Payment required, 402” – anyone else getting this?

(I also tried to log in to my Cloudant account through the website, and it said I needed to contact support@cloudant.com – which has just bounced back as not a real email address!)

September 18, 2023 at 12:49 PM #49863

James
    Participant

Never mind – it’s working again! Must have been a temporary glitch

September 18, 2023 at 2:15 PM #49865

Brendan
    Keymaster

Glad it’s working again James.

I have no control over Cloudant, so it’s possible one day they could just shut it down without warning. But hopefully it stays up.

I am working on new sync solutions for a new version of Tap Forms I’m working on.

September 19, 2023 at 1:50 AM #49872

James
    Participant

Oh wow – looking forward to possible new sync solutions! 😊

September 20, 2023 at 5:52 AM #49881

James
    Participant

Okay, no, it’s down again – same error message as before. 😟

September 20, 2023 at 7:40 AM #49882

Christopher Smith
    Participant

Mine also did this. I’ve decided it’s time to abandon IBM Cloudant and revert to Nearby Sync.

September 20, 2023 at 2:54 PM #49887

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve had a couple of reports of this. I wonder if there’s anything in your Cloudant account that could give you a clue? Did they drop the free tier? Did you go over your 1 GB limit?

I suspect it’s something IBM has done recently.

September 21, 2023 at 1:42 AM #49898

James
    Participant

Oh yeah, this is another problem I should have flagged! I can’t log in online to my Cloudant account anymore.

I’d be really interested to see if anyone else has this problem?

I started here as usual:

https://cloudant.com/sign-in

And I filled in my account details.

And it said “Your account has been locked. Please contact support@cloudant.com.”

So I sent an email, and got a bounce-back. “No mx record found for domain=cloudant.com”

September 21, 2023 at 9:56 AM #49902

Brendan
    Keymaster

You need to now login to https://cloud.ibm.com

Also, there seems to be a migration process you need to go through to migrate your database over to a resource group. There’s a default one already setup you can choose. I just went through that process. Although I am getting a 500 server error right now after the migration. Not sure what’s up with that. May require me to wait a bit and try again.

September 21, 2023 at 12:45 PM #49903

James
    Participant

Sorry, I see you already mentioned this here: https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5/en/topic/ibm-cloudant-sync

I’ll see if I can figure that process out!

September 21, 2023 at 8:32 PM #49904

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya sorry about this. Cloudant is completely out of my hands.

The new sync system I’m working on will allow for multi-user iCloud sync, Dropbox, and Nearby, so you will still be able to sync with different people.

September 23, 2023 at 10:36 AM #49906

Christopher Smith
    Participant

Yay! Dropbox! I use this with some other apps to sync shared data with another family member. Bring it on please!!!

September 23, 2023 at 4:52 PM #49907

John
    Participant

since migrate didn’t work for me, i successfully created a new cloudant database with legacy authentication. in tap forms, instead of using the IBM cloud option of syncing, I used the Apache CouchDB sync method using the new credentials I created for the new database in IBM cloud. It claims to be working in Tap Forms.

September 23, 2023 at 7:39 PM #49908

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, their migration didn’t work for me either. I’m glad making a new account worked for you. I think they locked my account out for the database access or something. I just get an error that states:

500: Internal Server Error

Reason: Error retrieving account information

I do have another account though and I guess I migrated that before the deadline and it works fine.

September 27, 2023 at 5:40 AM #49926

James
    Participant

Hi Brendan – are the Cloudant instructions up to date now, given that it’s all gone a bit weird?

I tried switching back to iCloud, but I find it really unreliable. (Slow and erratic, with occasional data loss!)

Now I’m wondering about creating a new Cloudant account and starting from scratch!

September 27, 2023 at 12:55 PM #49928

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, I’d just create a new Cloudant account. I haven’t gone through that process myself because I had two accounts and one works and one doesn’t.

I would recommend just going through it and try to follow my instructions as best as you can and you can email me or post here if you get stuck and I can help. Screenshots are helpful.

September 28, 2023 at 9:01 AM #49932

James
    Participant

I just followed the rabbit hole and migrated my old account. (I did this by finding the Cloudant database in the Resource List of my IBM account, and clicking on the three dots at the right and selecting ‘Migrate’.)

It told me I needed to move the database to a resource group, and told me to select one. The options were ‘Default’ or ‘Create resource group’. I picked Default.

But now when I click on that database it shows the same 500: Internal Server Error you mentioned. So maybe the option just isn’t available anymore?

September 28, 2023 at 1:24 PM #49934

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, looks like making a new Cloudant account will be required. I tried to contact IBM about this, but all they said was “bugger off freeloader, you’re not paying us, so we don’t care”. Not in those exact words, but that’s the gist of it.

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.