Multiple Records

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

woodwindtech
    Participant

I’m a band director and trying to use Tap Forms to keep track of lesson progress. So, I’ve created a form where I can enter my student’s name, lesson material covered, lesson assignment for next week and a recording. I’d like to create multiple records of a student’s lesson progress. So, I would need to have an entry for John Smith this week, next week, etc. But, keep each lesson’s record to see progress. So, how can I have multiple records, using the same form, for one student? Thanks!

August 6, 2009 at 7:41 PM #3731

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can simply use the same form and add another record.

1. Tap the Forms tab if you’re not already there.
    2. Tap the [+] button at the top-right of the screen
    3. Tap the same form you created to store your lessons.
    4. Enter the information for the new student

That’s pretty much all there is to it. Once you get more than one record added to the same form, you will see a list of records and a [+] button on the list page. You can simply use that [+] button from now on to add multiple records.

You also might consider setting the grouping for your form to group by Student name so you can see all the records for the same student grouped together. Each time you add a new record, just choose the same student. You can even access the built-in contacts database so you don’t have to type the student’s name again and again. But you’d have to have that student in your contacts database for that to work. Alternatively you can add their name to a custom Pick List to make data entry faster.

Thanks!

Brendan

August 7, 2009 at 1:32 AM #3732

woodwindtech
    Participant

Thanks for the help! Actually, I was wondering if it were possible to enter multiple records for the SAME student without having to even select the student’s name or enter other information that would be the same for each record, like their instrument. I would like to see my list of students and a number next to each name showing how many records there are for each student. So, I can click on John Smith’s name, and then a list of all John’s band lessons would pop up by date, and I could go back to any record to see what we did in that lesson. Right now, if I enter more than one record for a student, they are shown together, but it just shows the name, not the date of the record. So, I can’t go back to a specific date to see if I wrote a note that he didn’t practice, etc. So, I guess I’m looking for a way to tap on one student’s name and see a list of band lessons recorded by date. And when I create a new record for the same student, I don’t want to select his name or instrument again. I want some information to be already entered in. Is that possible? Thanks again!

August 7, 2009 at 2:02 AM #3733

woodwindtech
    Participant

I’m just posting again so you’d know that I edited my previous post with more questions. Sorry! Thanks!

August 7, 2009 at 2:30 AM #3734

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Woodwindtech,

Thanks for the posting on your website by the way!

For anyone else that wants to read the post, it’s here:

http://woodwindtech.tumblr.com/post/157191299/ive-been-trying-to-find-an-iphone-application

Anyway, what you are asking for is a feature that I am planning on adding in a future update. It would be a new field type called “Relationship”. With a relationship field, you could have multiple records from another form template associated with the field of a different form. It’s a fairly complex concept to manage from a code perspective in an application like mine. But it’s definitely doable and something I definitely plan on adding. But at the moment, it’s not there.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.