Multiple document tabs

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

cf
    Participant

When you have a tap forms document open in full screen and you use CMD+0 to open a second document it will appear as a new tab. This is great since I have several documents I use at once and find the tab navigation more practical than separate windows. The documents will stick together as tabs in one window even if you exit full screen.

However, if I quit or if tap forms crashes then when it reopens all the documents are re-opened as separate windows. I then have to close the windows, make one full screen, then open the document selector to open them as tabs then get back out of full screen again.

Is there a way to have tap forms default to always opening multiple docs as tabs? Or remembering the last setup? Or at least being able to collect multiple doc windows into a single tabbed window without doing the full screen dance?

I’m guessing the tabbing behavior is coming from NSWindowTab which macOS “recently” added, rather than some custom tab implementation on tap forms part. It looks like while this is happening automatically by AppKit it should be possible to customize the behavior and programmatically add or remove tabs. https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nswindowtabgroup

March 6, 2021 at 1:04 AM #43692

Brendan
    Keymaster

In the System Preferences application, go to the General preferences panel and change the setting there for the “Prefer tabs:” setting to “always when opening documents”.

March 9, 2021 at 11:16 AM #43743

cf
    Participant

Thank you Brendan, this changes the default for all applications which is not what I want but works well enough so it’s a reasonable work around.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.