Multiline on a custom layout

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Walter Rizzoli
    Participant

I have some text field that can have content that span multiple lines. I see that in the default layout those are showed in multiple lines. I’m tryng to make some custom layout but I can’t seem to find a way to make them behave the same way (show the text on multiple lines when needed).
    Thanks for any reply.

January 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM #33384

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Walter,

You should use a Note field for that. So you should switch your Text field to be a Note field and then drag out the Note field object onto your custom layout.

You’ll be able to easily enter multiple lines that way.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 13, 2019 at 6:53 AM #33392

Walter Rizzoli
    Participant

Thank you Brendan. But I’m curious to know why you get multiple lines on a text field in the default layout and not in custom layouts. Same thing with multiple pages. I guess that the costum layouts have some restriction that default doesn’t have. And that’s a pity because your program is really awesome for its simplicity and user friendly approach. But for a professional user like me who needs to have a flexible way to print the data collected in your wonderful database, maybe it’s not the way to go.

January 13, 2019 at 3:07 PM #33393

Brendan
    Keymaster

The Default Layout is generated algorithmically with dynamic row heights for each cell of the table view.

For custom layouts, each object you place there is given a fixed size according to however you’ve sized it.

If you really want to use a Text field instead of a Note field on a custom layout, you’ll still need to drag the field’s box to a size that you want. But instead of just being able to press the return key whenever you want a line break, you’ll need to press option-return to insert a line break.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.