Multi Line Records

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Bob Kerr
    Participant

Hi, I’m evaluating Tap Forms before I migrate away from FilemakerPro. I’ve exported a database from FMP to Excel and then imported to Tap Forms (Mac). It all went very well. I’ve now bought the Tap Forms App and am checking it out on an iPad. I shared (Airdropped) the database file and up she came on the iPad . . . all good.

My problem is that many of the records in this database are multi-line, some just long lines, some with line feeds (newlines or whatever). These display just fine on the Mac either with the default layout or if I make a custom layout. But on the iPad much of the data in these records is not visible because the cells don’t seem to show more than one short line of data.

I’ve done a bit of searching on this forum and it seems that, on iOS, only Notes fields can wrap long line lengths (is that correct?), but even if I change fields to Notes, records with line feeds in them still appear on one line.

Is this a just a limitation of the iOS version or is there something I can do to make the records show up as I want them to?

Also, is there any disadvantage of making all of my text fields Notes fields both on the Mac prior sharing and on iOS so that I get the wrap on long line lengths at least?

Thanks.

November 17, 2018 at 1:19 AM #31825

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, Note fields is what you want to use for long lines of text. You could also set the # Summary Lines option to 0 on the iOS version (in the Field Options area) and that will tell Tap Forms to display every line. It defaults to showing only 5 lines.

Note fields should be used only for longer amounts of text. Text fields should be used for shorter amounts. The problem with changing all fields to Note fields is it’s a bit slower to edit your note fields because you have to tap on the note, go to the other view, then edit the note value. Whereas with Text fields, you can click right inside the field to edit the contents. Although on Mac you can do that with a custom layout.

November 17, 2018 at 1:39 AM #31826

Bob Kerr
    Participant

Thanks for that.

Is there any way that the iOS version can recognise the line feeds that are in the records (and showing up as expected on the Mac version)?

Bob.

November 17, 2018 at 1:30 PM #31833

Brendan
    Keymaster

The iOS version should already recognize linefeeds in a Note field. Maybe if you email me a Tap Forms Archive of your form I can take a look at it and see what might be preventing it from showing linefeeds for you. Plus I’d be able to see how you have your form structured.

November 18, 2018 at 3:38 AM #31844

Bob Kerr
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks, I think the problem was more about my data than your software. This morning I set all the cells of the Excel file to ‘wrap’ and re-imported and it all shows up in Tap Forms perfectly.

Sorry to bother you with that one.

Bob.

November 18, 2018 at 12:16 PM #31851

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah excellent. I’m glad you found a solution.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.