Moving to new Mac

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

tonyt
    Participant

Hi Brendan
    I am having to do an enforced clean install of Mojave. I am using iCloud sync between my Mac and one ipad. I consider the Mac to be the ‘master’ machine in terms of up to date data. At the time of the clean install I will ensure both devices hold the same data. I will, of course backup the Mac database.
    What is the best way to go about setting up the ‘new’ Mac and re-establish syncing?
    Cheers…

June 10, 2019 at 11:46 AM #35045

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

Just make a backup of your database documents on your current installation and then restore them after you re-install Mojave.

There shouldn’t really be anything you need to do other than that. I’m assuming you’ll be using the same iCloud account, so there should be no difference. From before to after.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 10, 2019 at 12:20 PM #35047

tonyt
    Participant

Thanks Brendan, so no disable iCloud sync on any device or send data to new machine, etc…
    Cheers…

June 10, 2019 at 8:20 PM #35048

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

It’s already in the cloud with iCloud Sync, even if you did a completely clean install, once you set up iCloud you should be able to download the document directly from iCloud on the new Mac and use it.

I personally wouldn’t wipe anything until I’m happy everything made it.

June 10, 2019 at 8:39 PM #35049

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yup, what Sam said :)

But I also always recommend taking a backup of your database documents separately just in case.

It works different in Tap Forms 5 than it did in the old Tap Forms where disabling iCloud sync on a device would remove your device from the list of registered devices. But Tap Forms 5 doesn’t need that done.

February 13, 2021 at 3:31 AM #43436

tonyt
    Participant

So if I am now doing a clean install of Big Sur I dont need to deregister TF on my iMac?

February 13, 2021 at 2:56 PM #43441

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you’re using the direct download version of Tap Forms, then yes, you should de-register it and then re-register it after.

February 15, 2021 at 11:51 PM #43477

tonyt
    Participant

So if I just install TForms on new machine and turn on sync with icloud, it will just download to the new machine, no need to use ‘send to’ to get the data over?
    Sorry to be a nuisance but sync does my head in, and there seem to be so many bits of old advice and changes to the way things work when adding or deleting new devices to the sync cycle, every time I search I get more confused! Old age!!!

February 16, 2021 at 11:18 PM #43485

Brendan
    Keymaster

You should still use the Send Document function to get an exact copy of the document over to your new Mac.

February 17, 2021 at 2:32 AM #43493

tonyt
    Participant

So if I have a backed up copy of the complete file on my iMac and it is also up to date on my iPad, all I need to do is use ‘send to’ from the iMac to my MBPro (sync not enabled) and then enable sync on the MBPro? Or do I have to follow the steps that I found in another post from Brendan? See below …

This is what you can do to reset iCloud sync in Tap Forms 5:

Click the Disable iCloud Sync button on each device.
    Click the Delete from iCloud button on one device.
    Re-enable iCloud sync on the one device that has all the records.
    Wait for that device to fully upload to iCloud.
    Close that document.
    Re-open that document.
    Sync might start again. Wait for it to finish.
    Close that document again.
    Use the Send Document function to send that document to your other devices.
    Everything should be the same now.

Cheers and sorry to be a pain. I am not actually resetting sync as it is working fine between iMac and iPad, I am just adding a third device.

Tony

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.