Move form and record from iPhone to iPad

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Heyjebbo
    Participant

Hello,

I think the answer to my question may be in the post “Dropbox Upload – include photos linked to form?”, but I thought I would check.

My use case is as follows. My father is planning to catalog a very large collection of objects, including photos of each item. My plan was to install Tap Forms on his iPhone, which he could carry easily with him and take photos of the objects.

However, the same small size that makes the iPhone ideal for taking photos, makes it awkward for him to enter all the other data. Thus, I planned to beam records or backup/restore via Dropbox from his iPhone to his iPad, which he could then use for reading and doing most of the text entry.

From what I have read (and tested on my iPhone/iPad), when records are beamed and when forms are backed up/restored, the included photos are not sent. (In one test scenario, I think I got the thumbnail sent across, but only that.).

My question would be, based on your knowledge of the current Tap Form products, what is the best approach (if any) to moving complete databases (forms, records and attached photos) between iOS devices, without actually restoring the devices itself? As my father does not bother with syncing to iTunes, solutions that do not rely on iTunes are preferable.

Many thanks for your time and attention.

Jeff Henrichs

February 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM #5111

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Jeff,

If you do a full backup inside Tap Forms (using the Backup & Restore function) and then upload the backup file to Dropbox, when you restore it to another device (using the same Dropbox account), Tap Forms will include all your data, including photos. But it’s a full restore of the data. That means that it will erase any Tap Forms data that was there already. So in your scenario, once your father has finished entering in the data on the iPad, he’ll want to backup again to Dropbox, then do a restore to the iPhone before entering any new data or taking any new photos on the iPhone.

You’re right, beaming doesn’t include the photos, only the thumbnail.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM #5112

Heyjebbo
    Participant

Thanks Brendan,

I had tested his earlier, and did not think it worked. I tried it again, and I see that it does work, and also why I thought it didn’t.

Test case:

1. Use sample form for iPad

2. Add a photo

3. Backup to Dropbox

4. Restore same form and record to iPhone

5. Tap on photo and take a new photo to replace the existing

6. Save and backup from iPhone to Dropbox

7. Delete the original records from the form on the iPad

8. Restore the updated record/form to iPad from dropbox.

9. Look at the photo

When I do this, what I see is the thumbnail from the original photo (haven’t tried uninstalling the Tap Forms altogether). This is why I thought the photos did not come across in the restore. However when I tap on the thumbnail, I see the new (different) photo behind it.

Interesting behavior, not sure if you can reproduce.

Not a particular problem in my use case, and Yes I think the solution you describe is what we’ll do. Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Jeff Henrichs

June 26, 2014 at 11:55 PM #10478

Louis Pieter
    Participant

1. Launch the Settings app from your iPhone. Scroll down to Photos & Camera. Under “Photo Stream,” toggle “My Photo Stream” to ON so that all photos taken with your iPhone are synced to your other devices.
    2. Do the same with your iPad, if you would like photos taken with your iPad to sync to your iPhone.
    3. Make sure iCloud is connected to both devices by going to Settings >> iCloud. If you have the same Apple ID listed for the iCloud account, your photos will start syncing immediately.
    You may follow this guide: How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to iPad

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.