More than two linked forms with “m to n” or “1 to n”, even recursive

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Script Talk More than two linked forms with “m to n” or “1 to n”, even recursive

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Gerhard Hoffmann
    Participant

Hello together,
    is there a way, to combine more than two linked forms with “m to n” or “1 to n” relation?
    The following task: Main form: Company
    Goal: Project tracking with an “m to n” link. I would like to create a project tracking, there I need the users-name, for every project the cal-dates, notes, different pick lists and other things. Then I need to show the results in the higher-level Company form. However, I cannot do this with the previous tools from TabForms. Can something like this be realized with a script?

Best regards,
    Gerhard

April 1, 2021 at 11:23 PM #43999

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Gerhard,

Do you mean you have a 3 level hierarchy and you want to show data from the lowest level to the top level?

Like Parent -> Child -> Grand Child and you want to show data from Grand Child on the Parent form?

You can do that with a script, but the way the data would be displayed would be just in a text format, not in something like a table like regular Link to Forms are displayed.

April 2, 2021 at 5:19 AM #44005

Gerhard Hoffmann
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

yes, that is what I need.
    Do you have an idea, how that script looks like?

April 3, 2021 at 1:05 AM #44011

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

One way I do something like this is to use a Link to Field JOIN field with a common key between the grandparent record and the child record. You might be able to use a calculation field to project down a key value though for my use case I already had one that I was replicating via scripting.

If all you want is all of the grand children listed in the grandparents record (which is very useful at times) then the JOIN field might be the answer to do it somewhat automatically.

If that isn’t what you had in mind then you’re going to be doing some scripting however you can use the calc field if the JOIN field idea works.

April 3, 2021 at 7:54 AM #44016

T.L. Ford
    Participant

Link to Form fields do not show up in the interface’s available fields for Linked forms, but you can still use them.

Example:
    i.e.
    Projects (project name) -> Project_Employees (allocated manhours) <- Employees (employee name)

Show:
    Project, Employee Name, Allocated Hours

In a Projects form script, you can easily get the list of allocated manhours from the linked field. However, you need to also get the linked field for Employees from the Project_Employees table for the Employee name.

Even though it doesn’t show up in the interface’s picklist, you can still use them. You just have to go get the IDs from the Linked form.

See the attached database, which shows this in action as well as how to build a Summary report from partial reports.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    April 3, 2021 at 7:56 AM #44018

T.L. Ford
    Participant

The object model can be used to walk all over the database from anywhere to everywhere using the IDs and a good understanding of the model.
    http://www.cattail.nu/tap_forms/tap_forms_scripting_102/index_object_model.html

April 6, 2021 at 5:31 AM #44051

Gerhard Hoffmann
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your help.
    I will try it and hope, it will solve my problem.

Best regards,
    Gerhard

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.