missing records on Mac, but all on iPhone

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms missing records on Mac, but all on iPhone

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Wolfgang
    Participant

I have my database on Mac and iPhone (synchronized via iCloud).
    Entries are only made on the Mac.
    Now I find that I have 192 records on the Mac and 195 records on the iPhone !!
    195 records are correct … The 3 records are from December and, as I said, not visible on the Mac!
    My questions:
    1.) can I have accidentally hidden 3 records on the Mac or made them invisible?
    2.) can I set somewhere that the database is synchronized from the iPhone to the Mac?
    If none of this works:
    3.) Can I copy the 3 records individually to the database on the Mac (send as mail etc.)?

Best regards
    wolfgang

Mac Big Sur
    newest tap forms 5.3.17

March 3, 2021 at 10:09 PM #43676

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Some thoughts:

1. I don’t think you accidentally hide them on just one device.

2. I don’t think you can see the behind the scenes sync state with iCloud/Cloudkit, it’s supposed to be Apple magic. It’s also not necessarily fast either though so one thing I’ve done is leave an iOS device on, plugged in to power and with autolock disabled so that it finishes it’s sync. iOS wants to kill things as soon as it’s out of sight but that means long running background operations (like a large iCloud sync) lose out.

3. One trick I did many years ago was to duplicate the records. That’ll create a brand new record and should have them sync up. The first step would be to go into those records you know are missing and just edit them to see if that’s enough to force a sync of them.

iCloud Sync has been slow for years, even for Apple apps you can see something like Notes take a while to catch up when you setup a new Mac or iCloud Keychain a while to download.

March 3, 2021 at 11:26 PM #43678

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, duplicating the records would work if you knew which records were missing.

But if you don’t I would recommend using the Share function on the records list screen on your iPhone to generate a .tfarc file to send to your Mac.

Then on the Mac, use the Import Tap Forms Archive command to import that file. Tap Forms will update any existing records and add any new ones to the Mac.

March 3, 2021 at 11:32 PM #43679

Wolfgang
    Participant

Thank you Sam.
    But very tricky. In order to recognize the 3 records on my iPhone, I marked them as “favorites” … And what can I say? At that moment they were synced with the Mac. I don’t understand, but now all records are also on the Mac.

March 3, 2021 at 11:47 PM #43682

Brendan
    Keymaster

Marking a record as favourite updates the modification date of the record, thus causing it to be synced.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.